Drag Tires

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm racing on straight asphalt with no VHT. DRs aren't hooking worth a damn. 40 runs this weekend and only pulled two 1.7 60' and the rest were very consistent 1.8s.

I used M/T ET Streets 325x50 15. Ran tire PSI from 17 all the way down to 12 with 15psi being the best spot. The best RPM launch was 2600rpm and still spinning in first, blowing the tires through 2nd and chirping 3rd and 4th.

Thinking about trying M&H but not sure which ones. They'll go on Holeshot 15x10s. Also, any other advise to bring that 60' down would be appreciated. TIA...

Last edited:

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I Never tried it but can't you but some VHT that you spray on your tires from jegs or summit?

might be a stupid idea

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would bet his choice of tracks is limited, given his location.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All the choices of tracks are the same. Unprepped asphalt on airport taxiways. And unfortunately or fortunately, street racing here is almost impossible as most roads are two lanes and curvy as hell. Although the autobahn is a different story. But not the same as a great 1320' run.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
On an unprepped asphalt surface you are going to have trouble hooking with any tire. Is there any built up rubber from other cars at all? A trick we used to use on the street is to mount an universal windshield washer bottle in the trunk. Run a line out of that tank to a T fitting and branch off with a line running to each fenderwell. Fill the bottle with VHT and do a quick squirt onto the tires or pavement in front of the tires just before the burnout. You will need a bit longer burnout than usual. Probably 10-15 seconds.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On an unprepped asphalt surface you are going to have trouble hooking with any tire. Is there any built up rubber from other cars at all? A trick we used to use on the street is to mount an universal windshield washer bottle in the trunk. Run a line out of that tank to a T fitting and branch off with a line running to each fenderwell. Fill the bottle with VHT and do a quick squirt onto the tires or pavement in front of the tires just before the burnout. You will need a bit longer burnout than usual. Probably 10-15 seconds.

Yes, we use the same staging spot, so rubber does build up. It gets a bit better by the second day, but it's only one weekend per month.

There's a weird syrup here I've seen guys running dyno's use on tires that are slipping. They rub it all over the tire and as it heats up it gets really sticky and it prevents the tires from slipping on the dyno. Same concept as the VHTtechnique you're talking about.

So short of either of those options, would running a straight slick give me any better traction than a DR? I've seen 1.4 and 1.5 60's there, but those fuckers are running hotrods and straight up built drag cars in the 8s and 9s.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit, in the 'old days' I used to watch my dad and uncle use bleach for street races...lol

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, I've seen guys use WalMart rootbeer on their tires. Don't know if it helped or not, they were all FWD. At least it "sounds" sticky.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You might try softening the dspecs to get more squat in the back, too; that helps me when one of the local tracks wasn't getting prepped very well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back