Dynamat Xtreme Removal?

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
I had my trunk lined with Dynamat Xtreme a little while back... I think I'd been watching too much Overhaulin' or something... but I'm now regretting the install because of the 'Xtreme' added weight and want to get rid of the stuff!

From what I've been able to find on the subject, some say freeze it... others say heat it!?

DynamatTrunk1.jpg

DynamatTrunk2.jpg

What are your thoughts/experiences in getting the stuff out whilst leaving as little residue as possible?

Cheers!

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I say keep it but ... In my opinion, the best way to go about it is to just rip it off. I really mean RIP it off. Don't be gentle with it because it'll leave a residue.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
I just put some in my loud ass car and it helped a lot at WOT. I would recommend it but people have mixed feelings about but I love it.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Find somewhere else for the weight reduction and keep it in. Hell, I have it from my trunk latch to the firewall.

But if you absolutely want to remove it, I think heating it would get it out....and make one HELL of a mess. I would go with what Nasty said and take the band aide removal approach.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
I've had to remove some of mine at time to get to various bolts.. it's a pain in the ass and leaves shit everywhere! I'd leave it alone.. what did you add, maybe 30 lbs over the rear axle? That's not such a bad thing.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Heating it up just makes the stuff gooey and it'll stick to the car and make a mess. I have used ice but it's a pain in the ass on a big area.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
It sounds like it'd be a complete nightmare to remove no matter how I try to do it, so I think I'm going to take all of your advice and leave it as is! Cheers fellas! :beerdrink:

05slvrgt

Reaction score
+1 on the stuff being a mess to remove, its ridiculously sticky. Also, how good of a job does it do at reducing exhaust drone? My Macs drone quite a bit, and I'd like to fix that if possible.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
It doesn't magically solve the drone but it definitely helps and i have side exhaust so it might be even better for you.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
how heavy is that stuff anyways. didnt think it would be more than a couple of lbs

It's pretty damn heavy... the official data sheet (attached) states 0.45lbs./ft.2! That may not sound much, but it soon adds up!

I'd leave it alone.. what did you add, maybe 30 lbs over the rear axle? That's not such a bad thing.

That's a good point, especially as I'm not carrying a spare tyre and obviously don't carry the bottle either on open track days, which is mainly what I use/am building it for!

Just keep it... Does it help reduce noise pretty well?

Also, how good of a job does it do at reducing exhaust drone? My Macs drone quite a bit, and I'd like to fix that if possible.

It's OK, I wouldn't say it was amazing. Having said that, I only have it in the trunk and I have muffler deletes... so it has its work cut out trying to reduce that noise! :evillaugh:

Beacuse of the insane heat over here in the summer, average 113-122°F, I mainly installed it to try and keep the temperature down for when I'm carrying the bottle, but it still gets bloody hot! The Dynamat actually gets to hot to even touch, so I very rarely carry the bottle during the summer months :tdown:

Attachments

• 2204_Spec_Sheet_Dynamat_Xtreme.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
I hate our damn mirrors. Every time I shut my door it sounds cheap as fuck.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Any of you guys put it in the doors? My mirrors rattle with the stock shaker system...

Yes, I've got it in my doors. My doors shut a lot nicer and it helped with the sound.

However, as far as rattling mirrors, is it making noise? .. or just vibrating? If it's making noise than here's the fix... Pull the mirror off, it removes by pulling straight back. Don't hulk it, use the least amount of force as possible. It's all plastic! There are a bunch of small Torx bit screws that can get loose and cause this rattling. The one behind the actuator is usually the culprit. So this means removing the three Torx screws of the actuator to get to the problem one. I put some Loctite on mine. It was funny because it was just one day where it started rattling like a SOB. Not gradual at the very least. Hope this helps you out!

mirror57hs.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back