Early S197 Coyote swap.

Mbara80626

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!!
I'm new to the world of Coyote and S197's so some info would be appreciated I have a 09 Mustang GT with a 3V and have the opportunity to pickup a Gen 1 Coyote. I'm not looking to build a monster just a daily driver. The info I received about the engine is its out of a 2011 mustang and it had a misfire issue.. What are the know issues with the Gen 1's.
Thanks

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You'll find a lot of helpful information about Coyote swaps on this page:

I'd also recommend you look up our resident Coyote swap guru Matt Soppa on YouTube. He has an excellent series of videos describing a Coyote swap into an 05-09 GT.

As for the misfire the most likely causes are either a bad spark plug, COP, or injector. Before buying any engine with an unknown history, a compression check on all cylinders is crucial as this will determine the general health of the engine. Otherwise there could be a mechanical cause of a cylinder misfire such as a bent/burnt valve, a broken cam follower, or a damaged piston that you'd miss if you didn't perform a compression check.

If a compression check isn't possible, pull the plugs and examine the cylinders with a borescope. The no.8 cylinder on early Coyote engines has a tendency to run hotter than the others, and some would develop premature exhaust valve guide wear or detonation on that cylinder.

Generally Coyote engines are robust and reliable but like any engine, a timing job will be required at some point depending on how the car it came from was driven. Buying any used engine is a gamble but an inspection under the valve cover, and a check of the oil colour/quality on the dipstick will give you a clue as to whether the engine was properly maintained.

mattjames

Reaction score
Thank you Dino!!
It's been a bit since visiting here but thanks Dino for the plug and feel free to contact me directly ( not thru here, it's clumsy ) about the swap and our plug and play swap harness!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back