Edelbrock Supercharged Running Rough

aznjpnboi86

Aznjpnboi86
Reaction score
I changed my spark plugs out of my Edelbrock Supercharged Mustang (5psi) and replaced them with new Autolite HT0's. It was pre-gapped to 0.045" and I called Edelbrock to make sure it didn't require any gapping (they said factory gapping) and I installed them into the car. After installing them, my car idled really rough and I decided to gap them down to 0.030". It fixed the rough idle problem but I noticed recently that when I checked them, it has gas residue on the plug. What should I do?

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
I changed my spark plugs out of my Edelbrock Supercharged Mustang (5psi) and replaced them with new Autolite HT0's. It was pre-gapped to 0.045" and I called Edelbrock to make sure it didn't require any gapping (they said factory gapping) and I installed them into the car. After installing them, my car idled really rough and I decided to gap them down to 0.030". It fixed the rough idle problem but I noticed recently that when I checked them, it has gas residue on the plug. What should I do?

if it has gas resideue that means you're running rich. you have an w/b afr gauge?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
What boost are you running? .030 is less gap than I'm at with the 3" pulley around 11.5 psi boost.

EDIT: Didn't see you said 5psi boost, I'd open the gap to around .038-.040 at only 5psi.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score

Jason, my advice:
  • You told me that you're running rich; richer than 11:1, IIRC. Have John at the HP Ranch lean it out to around 11.5:1 to 12.0:1.
  • Like Dysan said, widen your spark plug gap. Too small of a gap is less efficient and won't burn completely. I'd say closer to .040. Obviously, your car didn't like .045 (spark blowout perhaps?), but .035 to .040 is probably good.
Stop in sometime and let's drive both of our cars back to back to compare notes and driveability.

T-STANG

Reaction score
I have an e-force running 11#'s and gapped at .032. For you I would recommend around .036-.038 and see how it runs.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
So, I put a new set in at 0.045" and the car got "IT" back.

What is "IT"? You mean some misfire or spark blowout? Rough idle? .045 is too wide a gap, then, and .030 was too small. Try a gap in between, like .035 and see if that's a good, happy medium.

Man, it's a good thing you bought all those sets of plugs in advance!

aznjpnboi86

Aznjpnboi86
Reaction score
At 0.045", the car got the power and better overall combustion back. The car does run rich during cold start-up but it eventually goes away when the front o2 sensors warm up. I thought to try this gapping again and maybe it was the fact that I didn't use enough dielectric grease in the COP boot. I haven't had any codes come up and the car once at operating temperature pulls like a car with a supercharger. I decided to gun in on the on-ramp to 167 going South and right before merging, I looked down and was going 115. Everyday, I keep falling in love with my car......

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back