Eibach R2 Coilovers

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone here running the R2's? What size wheels and tires are you pairing up with? Trying to figure out some fitment issues here.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think the R2's have slotted upper holes. Maybe try slotting the upper holes???

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Did you try moving the spindle in relation to the strut yet?

I don't think the R2's have slotted upper holes. Maybe try slotting the upper holes???

My tech is taking another look at it tomorrow, but he did say there is an option to slot the upper holes. I'm just trying to gather as much info from the forum as possible to provide him with. I just want this done right, I don't mind redoing my alignment completely. Tomorrow is my last chance before my event to get this fixed right.

Ike

forum member
Reaction score
If you can spend more, call Vorshlag.

I got the R2s...

I did a lot of research on this, the R2s seem to have an almost flawless record, and they are decent about fixing problems. I'm looking forward to mine.

Problem: I have been waiting a month after ordering from American Muscle... The order didn't go through then they were delayed at eibach. They should be here after a total of six weeks. I would recommend calling eibach directly. Actually I would ALWAYS order over the phone. The only flawless record of internet transactions I've done has been through amazon.

When they do arrive I'm emailing specs to Vorshlag, because they have never made cam/cas plates for the R2s.... Maximum motorsports? I think has R2 specific plates, but I'd rather use Vorshlag for those. Much camber. So proven.

TIRES: Went to tirerack.com, put in that I owned a GT500 (actually v6) and ordered Enkei pf01s in 18x9.5" width and 41? offset i think? Running 275/35/18 Direzza ZII same setup all around. 35 sidewall is not correct, but Its better to go down than up in total overall diameter for reasons of scrub radius, but basically I'll get 40 sidewall next time with the 275. Its no biggie.

Good Luck
Ike

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
I think he's got those Apex 18x10's with 285's

Yup Apex 18x10 ET43 square

I got the R2s...

I did a lot of research on this, the R2s seem to have an almost flawless record, and they are decent about fixing problems. I'm looking forward to mine.

Problem: I have been waiting a month after ordering from American Muscle... The order didn't go through then they were delayed at eibach. They should be here after a total of six weeks. I would recommend calling eibach directly. Actually I would ALWAYS order over the phone. The only flawless record of internet transactions I've done has been through amazon.

When they do arrive I'm emailing specs to Vorshlag, because they have never made cam/cas plates for the R2s.... Maximum motorsports? I think has R2 specific plates, but I'd rather use Vorshlag for those. Much camber. So proven.

TIRES: Went to tirerack.com, put in that I owned a GT500 (actually v6) and ordered Enkei pf01s in 18x9.5" width and 41? offset i think? Running 275/35/18 Direzza ZII same setup all around. 35 sidewall is not correct, but Its better to go down than up in total overall diameter for reasons of scrub radius, but basically I'll get 40 sidewall next time with the 275. Its no biggie.

Good Luck
Ike

Thanks for the post, the issue seems to be more complicated. I'm rubbing with a 275/35/18 tire on an ET43 18x10 wheel which doesn't make much sense to me as a 43 offset is standard Mustang offset and my tire isn't even all that big. I know of people running a 305/30 with a similar wheel. The rub is so bad I need a 10mm spacer just to clear and would likely need 12mm for hard cornering and lateral tire movement.

Attached is a picture if where the rub is.

Attachments

• 20140410_110430.jpg
    20140410_110430.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 32

chilema

Reaction score
That is quite strange indeed. I use the 18x10 +42 Forgestar F14's from American Muscle with 285 RS-3's for the street and I only needed a 5mm spacer. And that's only because my AST's were slotted and I pushed the camber all the way in at the strut. Are your tires coming close to the strut body or the springs? On mine the spring is completely above the tire.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, the issue seems to be more complicated. I'm rubbing with a 275/35/18 tire on an ET43 18x10 wheel which doesn't make much sense to me as a 43 offset is standard Mustang offset and my tire isn't even all that big. I know of people running a 305/30 with a similar wheel. The rub is so bad I need a 10mm spacer just to clear and would likely need 12mm for hard cornering and lateral tire movement.

Attached is a picture if where the rub is.

:angry1: It's actually not complicated...

Did you try moving the spindle in relation to the strut yet?

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
That is quite strange indeed. I use the 18x10 +42 Forgestar F14's from American Muscle with 285 RS-3's for the street and I only needed a 5mm spacer. And that's only because my AST's were slotted and I pushed the camber all the way in at the strut. Are your tires coming close to the strut body or the springs? On mine the spring is completely above the tire.

The tire is completely rubbing on the part shown in picture. It's rubbing so bad that you can't put the wheel on the hub and have it sit flat, when you tighten the bolts it gets even worse.

:angry1: It's actually not complicated...

I'm sorry I am not too mechanically inclined, I used to work on cars, then realized I do more good than bad.

I am just trying to get as much information as possible and pass it along to my tech.

chilema

Reaction score
The tire is completely rubbing on the part shown in picture. It's rubbing so bad that you can't put the wheel on the hub and have it sit flat, when you tighten the bolts it gets even worse.

I'm sorry I am not too mechanically inclined, I used to work on cars, then realized I do more good than bad.

I am just trying to get as much information as possible and pass it along to my tech.

I think PART but not all (if you're rubbing as bad as you say) of your issue might be because of the swaybar bracket collar. Note how thick the collar is compared to the strut body itself (and this is not knowing if the strut housing itself isn't already larger diameter than a stock strut or AST type).

1zqby0z.jpg

The older AST 4100s I use still have the clamp-on style swaybar bracket like the one seen here. These are a lot thinner and is almost flush with the strut housing.

141091637_Ca3US-L-S.jpg

Other folks with AST's responding to your question probably use the newer AST 4150s, which have welded on brackets that are flush with the strut housing just like on an OEM strut.

jpg_DSC5921%20copy-M.jpg

The theme here is minimizing the thickness of the strut housing for tire clearance. I think Eibach may have forgone that extra bit of clearance for a beefier swaybar bracket without having to weld them on. I think the 40-43 offset range may be ideal for 18x10 on this car so I wouldn't go with something like a +30 wheel set up to create in-board clearance on the front as the rears will poke out quite a bit. In this case a a big spacer may be the only solution for your wheels' offset. =/

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I don't feel like digging up the picture, but Gmitch had to do some cutting on his R2's somewhere in the vacinity of your yellow circle there I believe. There is a pic of it and it is in this subforum. Think he was running larger than a 285 too. Don't remember his offset.

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Vorshlag will make you CC plates for the R2s, they made them for me, they will likely still have all the measurements I supplied them.

I got the R2s...

Good Luck
Ike

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
All, great news here - with your responses and guidance (I forwarded this thread to my tech) and he just called me saying he adjusted position of the knuckle and the wheel clears without a problem.

So Apex wheels 18x10 ET43 with a 275/35/18 fit without an issue.

With that said ^^ the fact that I already ordered the hubs with extended studs just gives me an excuse to keep them on the car.

Awesome support here, my next event is on the 20th, I report back with how the Toyo RA1s hold up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back