Emissions question

STANMAN

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have failed emissions with my car due to "System Not Ready" for the catalyst and evaporative systems. I have 3 tunes from Brenspeed "Race, Street, and Emission". Two years ago (before I had the Super Shaker) I had the same problem, but the emission tune I requested from them fixed it. Post super shaker the emission tune still has these 2 codes that will not "re-set". Is there a way to manually re-set these readiness monitors? Car doesn't throw any codes, no idiot lights are on, have driven over 300 miles, anything that should have tripped a light would have happened I would hope. Anyone have any thoughts?

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Sounds like the 02 sensors are off. It will never pass if they are off. That's why it shows system not ready. I'm going through the same shit right now. My inspection expired in may lol

STANMAN

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 02 sensors are off. It will never pass if they are off. That's why it shows system not ready. I'm going through the same shit right now. My inspection expired in may lol

Do you have an "emissions tune", or requested one from your tuner? I had this issue BEFORE I had the supershaker in place and they emailed me an emissions tune and it took care of this issue. I have since added the supershaker, had to get 3 new tunes obviously, and the emissions one just isn't working for me this time around.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
nah I don't. I'm not passing the visual inspection. The fuckers, first thing they do is lay down and look at my exhaust. Then they say that it failed because the "cadillac converters" are missing.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Stan, I too have been seeing both catalyst and evap at not ready, even after driving enough, and with rear o2 sensors on in the tune.
Here's what I had to do to get mine to get down to just 1 not-ready (I assume you can pass with just 1 but fail with 2); this has worked at least one time and I'm doing it now to try to pass current due inspection.
"Clear" the dtc codes with your tuner. This will "reset" the ecu, even if no codes are present.
Then drive for at least 20 miles in mixed highway/city without turning off the car.

That at least got the evap to ready, which I was surprised to see. Catalyst still was never ready though. Seems that shorter driving cycles, like 5 minute trips and such, after loading or resetting, do not work well to get the readiness of all monitors.

(I had mine all ready for inspection, and was heading out to get it inspected, and I stopped and checked before I got there and had a pending code, so I didnt go. So I'll try the process again tomorrow, lol!)

STANMAN

forum member
Reaction score
Stan, I too have been seeing both catalyst and evap at not ready, even after driving enough, and with rear o2 sensors on in the tune.
Here's what I had to do to get mine to get down to just 1 not-ready (I assume you can pass with just 1 but fail with 2); this has worked at least one time and I'm doing it now to try to pass current due inspection.
"Clear" the dtc codes with your tuner. This will "reset" the ecu, even if no codes are present.
Then drive for at least 20 miles in mixed highway/city without turning off the car.

That at least got the evap to ready, which I was surprised to see. Catalyst still was never ready though. Seems that shorter driving cycles, like 5 minute trips and such, after loading or resetting, do not work well to get the readiness of all monitors.

(I had mine all ready for inspection, and was heading out to get it inspected, and I stopped and checked before I got there and had a pending code, so I didnt go. So I'll try the process again tomorrow, lol!)

Thanks for the info, but I have to ask how to reset all the DTC codes with my tuner, I have never done that. I know there's a method to check them (which I did one time and have since forgotten) with the tuner, but I guess I would need some info on how to reset them. I have an SCT2. I thought for sure driving the hell out of the car (over 300 miles, I think I need a new set of Mickey Thompsons after all that driving, lol) would re-set everything, but no such luck. Thanks for any insight you can provide, it is MUCH appreciated!

And yes, if I can get it down to 1 I am golden!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
In the same menu close to viewing the dtcs, find the menu item to clear them. Should still be there (I have a xcal2 as well).
Worst case, disconnect the negative terminal of your battery for 20 minutes.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Luuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... Use the Search....let goooooooo...trust your feelings.....use the Searchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I trust f'n no one, especially no f'n computer system!

Oh yeah, searching's a great idea though ;)

Actually, I think I found the just-right combination of how to get my car to pass obdII inspection -- legally.
That's all I can say right now. I'll know soon!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Of course no dtc's to clear: CLEAR them anyway, if you can.
That resets the computer, same as disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes.

BTW, I was able to get my car to pass emissions inspection today. After "resetting' the ecu (clearing codes), and using my scan tool (not a SCT thing), I would check readiness and for dtcs. I ended up driving about 20 miles in different conditions, but eventually got evap to readiness, and catalyst never has been ready, and with no dtcs, active or pending. So making sure not to turn off the car, drove to inspection station, checked again for readiness and dtcs, all good (1 not ready and no dtcs of course).
So it was 1 longer drive cycle that got me down to 1 not ready, good enough to pass.

Time for the blower to go on now!!!!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
lol, they had to look under mine to make sure I had cats. But they said it sounded f'n great.

Of course, you "could" just swap in the cats when you need them ;) ;) ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back