engine failsafe mode

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
ok guys... 2005 with 10k miles...don't laugh... I have not driven the car more than 300 miles over the last year and it has basically not been driven for a year. I took it out 3 times this year and 2 of the times I goes into failsafe mode after about 5 minutes of running.

not throwing any codes that I can read with my sct... research here shows a probable tps or throttle body issue??? I have not changed or disconnected anything so I doubt it's non metered air...

good news is I turn the car off and restart and the Failsafe does not return... at least so far... for the duration of the drive.

what next????

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
The fuel is "fresh" from last year. I fill it up in October with some of that new stabil stuff that you should use all the time. It's happened 2x and both times it was prior to the car being warmed up. Restart it and all is good. I made OP while at a car show, and coming home I got into it a few times and all was normal....

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Drive it, burn off that old gas and put some fresh in it. The Stabil will keep the gas good enough to burn but it's still not optimal and the octane won't be as high as it should.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Failsafe can come from a few things. One of them is that the measured air is off by more than 10% of what's predicted for the throttle blade angle. Several things can cause this. The most common are unmetered air and a throttle body that is different than what the tune accounts for.

I'd be looking for unmetered air (vacuum leaks,) and make sure that the throttle body is the same as what the motor is tuned for.

It could be other things but I'd start with those.

blacllkllsi

forum member
Reaction score
My car sat for 4 years without being started, had it towed to ford and had a service done and she fired right up. I would start at the fuel as others have suggested, could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
My K&N no tune intake would separate from the TB causing similar issues, sort of along the lines of what Bruce H said.

46addict

Reaction score
I had a JLT intake that had a filter separating from the intake tube and which put me in failsafe. I'm not saying your Whipple CAI would have the same problem but I would check all intake clamps. I would not be doing any WOT runs or tipping in at all until you get a fresh tank of gas as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back