engine problem diagnosis, please...

Reaction score
It sounds a little like an issue with the timing chain. It wouldn't throw a code if say, the tensioner was wacked up. Issues with valve components can hide from the computer also. If it was a stuck valve I'm pretty sure a code will throw.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about your tps, or maf? I would definitely try compression test just to be safe. The thing with sensors is as long as sensors are within their parameters they will not throw a code, so they can still make a car run shitty without a code.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Have you thought about your tps, or maf? I would definitely try compression test just to be safe. The thing with sensors is as long as sensors are within their parameters they will not throw a code, so they can still make a car run shitty without a code.

i couldnt drive it anyways and had to get back to houston. my dad is gonna tow my car to his mechanic friend out there and have him do a compression test and possibly pull the head and check it out.

tyler_2118

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was very similar when my tps went bad. Very rich and lopey. Also wouldent stay running.

Last edited:

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Mine was very similar when my tps went bad. Very rich and lopey. Also wouldent stay running.

did you have a check engine light? I have been suspicious of that damn throttle body since back in 06 when everybody was having problems with them.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Where are you at with this?Any luck fixing it?

Still working on getting it towed to houston. I already have a new motor lined up and the swap out at my tuner. However, before I got through with this, I'm gonna swap out throttle bodys and see if that helps.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Still working on getting it towed to houston. I already have a new motor lined up and the swap out at my tuner. However, before I got through with this, I'm gonna swap out throttle bodys and see if that helps.
Try a new tps if the throttle body swap does not work

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Are you buying Gregs motor?I saw he looked you up on the WTB ads.

I am talking to him about it right now, however, we are trying to get our timing down first. He may be pulling that motor out later than I will be needing to get one.

No light for a long time until the sensor went out completely

Ok, I'll definately check that out.

Try a new tps if the throttle body swap does not work

I will, any idea on how much a new one costs (off the top of your head).

Also, let me ask you. If the TPS or the throttle body went bad, would that cause one of my heads to smoke? It's not a lot of smoke like what comes out of the exhaust, but it is white smoke coming out the drivers side valve cover.

tyler_2118

forum member
Reaction score
I cant remember how much they cost but there not that bad, I dont know about the smoke thing? I wouldn't thinks so but from starting and dying and over again who knows.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I cant remember how much they cost but there not that bad, I dont know about the smoke thing? I wouldn't thinks so but from starting and dying and over again who knows.

Is there a voltage test I can do to test the TPS?

tyler_2118

forum member
Reaction score
Ya I think I read in here some were u can but I have no Clue how. try to borrow a tps to see if that's the problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back