Engines before and after 8/16/10

coyote5o-cnj

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't noticed this before. Is this just for stock replacements? How can you tell when the motor was built?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't noticed this before. Is this just for stock replacements? How can you tell when the motor was built?

We're talking about the build date of the car. Basically it's a change between 2011 job1 and job2. It should be in your driver's side door jamb.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Is that the date they discovered the problem with the #8 cylinder or engines with the dreaded engine tick?

Last edited:

coyote5o-cnj

forum member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't really tick I changed my oil to full synthetic 5w-20 and doesn't tick at all anymore.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
This is really interesting to me, particularly the date.

My build date is May 2010, with an original engine manufactured date of April 2010.

When they replaced my engine in the summer of 2011, they could not get one with a build date after March 2010 (and the dealer did a bunch of calling around). At that point, they were using new engines, not remanufactured.

However, the March 2010 built engine had multiple tags on it with later dates showing changes/updates had been made to the engine while "on the shelf." I remember that at least one tag said AUGUST 2010.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How can you check engine manufacture date? My car's birthday is 20 September 2010, but I don't know when the engine itself was made.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
How can you check engine manufacture date? My car's birthday is 20 September 2010, but I don't know when the engine itself was made.

The dealer told me mine, and I'm not sure where they found it. It came up in the context of them trying to find me the newest engine they could for the swap out.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I think there is a fair bit of confusion here ... the parts are referencing the build date of the car, not the individual components.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, got it -- thanks for clarifying.

In my case, though, there may have been changes to the new engine consistent with the cars built after 8/16/2010. I'll probably never know.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back