Exhaust "rasp" or "tick"?

teeje

Reaction score
hey everyone so I have been tackling noises in my stang for awhile and of course when you fix one noise, you are paranoid that everything else is worst case scenario. Let me get to the point. I have an 08 gt with a manual trans. I have cat deletes (cats cut out and straight pipe cut and welded in place on stock flanges untouched. I have an xpipe and two resonators. Im also cammed, and i have a jlt series 3 cai and a ford performance intake manifold. I have many other mods but i feel only these pertain to this thread. Anywho, when Im driving around and I reach about 2k rpms 3k rpms for a second or two I hear a tick or tapping noise. I know what a tick sounds like but I cant really call it a tick but thats the only way I can describe it. If I slowly reach those rpm ranges you cant hear a thing. Almost seems like exhaust resonance but I'd like a second opinion. It sounds almost like theres a rattling noise/ tapping or even a tick noise. Everyone that has heard my car says its just exhaust resonance. Doesnt do it at idle or revving in neutral. All connections are tight also. You cannot hear it inside the cabin. Sounds great on the dyno too. And of course at idle with the cams. If you just get in 3rd gear and punch it you never hear a thing. It seems you can only hear it most if youre next to a wall or something. Maybe Im just paranoid but in any case a second opinion would be good to hear. Im positive its exhaust resonance of some sort because I didnt hear it until I got my cats deleted. If this is a normal thing what causes that to happen? Im jsut perplexed by the whole idea.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Is it more of a popping thru the exhaust below 3k rpm under light acceleration?
I had that too, Lito got it to lessen in my tune but if I really want to I can still make it happen. I think it’s a byproduct of the cams.

teeje

Reaction score
Is it more of a popping thru the exhaust below 3k rpm under light acceleration?
I had that too, Lito got it to lessen in my tune but if I really want to I can still make it happen. I think it’s a byproduct of the cams.
Sounds about right to me. Maybe he can look at that

teeje

Reaction score
Hm kinda. I'll see if I can record it tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
Mind sounds like its coming from the from the front but it may just be from where I'm sitting. I can literally only hear it if my window is down. I may just be over thinking and being paranoid. If it was valve train noise wouldn't the noise be there through all rpm ranges and when revving it in neutral because its only under light throttle around 2k then goes away really fast and the same thing at about 3k

teeje

Reaction score
Mind sounds like its coming from the from the front but it may just be from where I'm sitting. I can literally only hear it if my window is down. I may just be over thinking and being paranoid. If it was valve train noise wouldn't the noise be there through all rpm ranges and when revving it in neutral because its only under light throttle around 2k then goes away really fast and the same thing at about 3k
Also when I hear this noise it doesnt get faster with rpm speed. It stays the same. If it was a tick wouldnt it get faster?

Could this noise just be a by product of no having cat an xpipe and my cams? I cant hear anything at idle. Only mostly in 3rd gear. I really need to record a video. Ill do that on my lunch since im at work.

Last edited:

teeje

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the wind and road noise but this can only be accomplished with the window down. It can't be heard in the cabin

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It is the same thing my car is doing, you just hear mine more because of my 3 inch exhaust and the more aggressive cams.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I believe this is a byproduct of the cams being out of their prime RPM range and under a load at that lower RPM as well.

teeje

Reaction score
I must want to make sure were hearing the same thing. Kind of sounds like a raspy or tick noise right?

teeje

Reaction score
Sort of sounds like a tick noise but I guess it's just the echo from the exhaust. You can hear it best at the end. It's like very faint

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Sort of sounds like a tick noise but I guess it's just the echo from the exhaust. You can hear it best at the end. It's like very faint

The end is where I heard it best as well, the engine exhaust note sounds like it is breaking up and the popping is pronounced. To me at least.

teeje

Reaction score
I think I hit a slight bump but it aided in pronouncing the sound. I know you say it sounds like exhaust but wouldn't you also say it sounds like a tick? I know it's not but I wanna hear someone else say it lol

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I do not hear a tick, I hear the car breaking up through the exhaust

teeje

Reaction score
I had a small leak in my xpipe. Got that fixed. I can hear it still but not as loud. Only in gear. Not in neutral. Maybe its not an exhaust "tick" but maybe just a byproduct of the cams?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I had a small leak in my xpipe. Got that fixed. I can hear it still but not as loud. Only in gear. Not in neutral. Maybe its not an exhaust "tick" but maybe just a byproduct of the cams?

That is what I have been trying to tell you

teeje

Reaction score
I'm just going paranoid. I already replaced the engine once :D

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back