Exhaust squeak - need some help

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
OK, I need some exhaust help. I have a major squeak from the exhaust, and I am just at a loss.

2013 Mustang GT
Factory manifolds
used JBA X pipe - http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-highflow-xpipe-1113gt.html Came off of my buddies '12 GT
Factory cats
Factory over axle pipes
Flowmaster Outlaw axle backs - http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowmaster-outlaw-axleback-1112gt.html

Last year I had an exhaust shop put the X pipe on the car, with the GT500's http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-gt500-axleback-2011gt.html that I already had on there. X pipe is longer than the factory H. This pushes the entire system back at least an inch or so, and then the hangers are no longer vertical, they are now pushed to their limits.

The GT500's with the X was almost as quiet as stock. The Outlaws and the factory H was absurdly loud and obnoxious. So one day I figured what about a combo with the X and the Outlaws? Sounds really nice and almost the exact sound I want. I installed the Outlaws myself on ramps in my parking lot. Did the best I could, and it turned out to be pretty good. Verified on the rack by Jeremy@AirLift and myself at the shop. That was OK for a while, but then the squeak came, and is really annoying.

One of the hangers on each side is against what I believe is the control arm. This was causing some rattling so a buddy cut some rubber hose and wedged it in on each side. So that appears to be rectified. He checked all of the clamps and they appear to be tight as well. Now, the squeak. I think that it has to do with the exhaust system being stretched to the max. It could be the hanger I guess. I have some lubricating spray that I will spray in there tonight.

The exhaust shop said that it isn't as simple as cutting the X pipe to the exact length of the factory H. I don't understand why, but that is what they said. That is one shops word.

Not really in the market to get a different axle back set up to be honest. I love how this sounds so I would like to make this work. Don't really want to put the factory H pipe on there either, as the sound will change.

So I ask for the advice of those here, who may have gone through this before, or have suggestions. Lets say that the squeak is so annoying and loud that I would rather go back to the H and stock mufflers and just have a quiet car if it would get rid of the squeak.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have you tried bending the hangers out of the way? All it takes is a hollow tube or pipe.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I think that I found it. Guessing that it is either a loose hanger, or that it needs to be hit with some silicone lubricant. Didn't get a chance to pull them down tonight, so I will in the morning.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Did the best that I could without disassembling the entire exhaust. Got the silicone lubricant in as much as possible. Took it for a test drive to let the exhaust warm up, on a known 5 mile loop to make the damn thing squeal like a pig. It was silent. Got home, noticed that the passenger side tip was over too far, moved it gently with my foot, and I heard the squeak. I am at about my wits end with this.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back