First Mod Successful..?????

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
OK guys I just finished installing my K&N CAI. I dont hear any blatent sound of air escaping and I took it for a 5 minute or so spin. Not sure if I feel any kind of gain or not but I know a CAI is a step in the right direction for where I want to be. There were no "codes thrown" and the check engine light isnt on. So here's my question, would the check engine light come on right away if there was something wrong or would it not come on until some damage had been done from me screwing up the install?
Thanks for any input.

96blowncobra

forum member
Reaction score
k&n doesnt require a tune so no check engine light will ever come on for that. a normal person wont feel a 5-10 hp gain but any mod is a step in the right direction!

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Um...no offense but I dont understand how you can screw up an install on an intake, unless you left a nut in the pipe and started the car or perhaps cut some wires. Lol

That being said, youre probably fine as long as everything is connected back.

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
Um...no offense but I dont understand how you can screw up an install on an intake, unless you left a nut in the pipe and started the car or perhaps cut some wires. Lol

That being said, youre probably fine as long as everything is connected back.

No offense taken. I just have next to no experience with working on cars. Since this is my first shot Im just being a bit paranoid. I guess my fear was that if I did something wrong I would cause the engine to overheat and do some damage that isnt an easy fix.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
No offense taken. I just have next to no experience with working on cars. Since this is my first shot Im just being a bit paranoid. I guess my fear was that if I did something wrong I would cause the engine to overheat and do some damage that isnt an easy fix.

HAHA its all good man. Wait till you learn how to install a blower on your own or some cams. That was a nail biter when I put the keys in the ignition. Lol :shock:

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Yup, no tune required with the K&N and you wont feel much of a difference in performance.

Im sure there is someone out there that can screw it up.

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, no tune required with the K&N and you wont feel much of a difference in performance.

Im sure there is someone out there that can screw it up.

If theres a way screw the easy stuff up, Ill find it. As far as the blower or cams go, Ill be sweating like a BP exec the whole time.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
If theres a way screw the easy stuff up, Ill find it. As far as the blower or cams go, Ill be sweating like a BP exec the whole time.

I would recommend you stay away from a blower or cam install if you have those issues. No offense, its just alot more complicated then a CAI install.

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
I would recommend you stay away from a blower or cam install if you have those issues. No offense, its just alot more complicated then a CAI install.

Youre probably right. Since Im just getting into cars and out of bikes I dont know any real shops in my area. I have no intention of working with the dealership out here. I went in there and asked the parts guy about the steeda CAI and he had no idea what a CAI was. Think Ill have to do some looking around to find a reputable shop.
Thank guys for the feedback.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Congrats on your first mod!!!

The K&N will perform better with a custom tune. You'll feel some difference then!

shanec

forum member
Reaction score

No prob. I started out just like you.

First a CAI kit. Then a custom tune. Then I changed the mufflers. Then I had an experience buddy help me (or rather I turned wrenches for him) put on longtube headers.

Then after much reading and researching...I installed a supercharger by myself.

Now I know enough to be dangerous and to sound knowledgeable to people who are clueless. LOL

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
Im up in the Rockford IL area. North Central IL. Im actually only a couple miles from the Wisconsin border.
I will defer to the pros for all of the more advanced things that I will want done. But I also want to know how to work on this car. So my learning curve might be a bit higher at first but Ill catch up eventually.

Embalmer

Amateur Expert
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im up in the Rockford IL area. North Central IL. Im actually only a couple miles from the Wisconsin border.
I will defer to the pros for all of the more advanced things that I will want done. But I also want to know how to work on this car. So my learning curve might be a bit higher at first but Ill catch up eventually.

I live about 45 minutes southwest of you, and I get to Rockford all the time. Check out http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/forums/
If you need any help wrenching or whatever, shoot me a PM.

Jim Phelps

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score

There are plenty of shops around ya....Sutton, Kurgan, CRE, Brenspeed is over here in Indiana.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back