First time at the track

stang06gt

forum member
Reaction score
No prob. Anytime. I'm really interested to see how this works out for you. I'm usually able to coach manual trans guys at the track to get much quicker 60-foot times, but it's hard online.

I was sitting here thinking maybe you should sit in the car with it not running, and practice taking about one second to go from the clutch pedal on the floor to all the way up. Do that a few times, get comfortable with it, then do it at the tree. Does that make sense? I don't want you to ride the clutch... Just let it out slowly enough to get the weight a chance to transfer a little before the clutch is all the way out. I think you'll find that you can go nuts with the launch RPMs and still hook. With your upgraded suspension & 28" ET streets, that car should have some pretty stout 60's hidden in there.

I can't wait to see how much ET you're able to pull out of it.

Is that easier or harder on the clutch than just dropping it?

MrJAFO

Reaction score
No prob. Anytime. I'm really interested to see how this works out for you. I'm usually able to coach manual trans guys at the track to get much quicker 60-foot times, but it's hard online.

I was sitting here thinking maybe you should sit in the car with it not running, and practice taking about one second to go from the clutch pedal on the floor to all the way up. Do that a few times, get comfortable with it, then do it at the tree. Does that make sense? I don't want you to ride the clutch... Just let it out slowly enough to get the weight a chance to transfer a little before the clutch is all the way out. I think you'll find that you can go nuts with the launch RPMs and still hook. With your upgraded suspension & 28" ET streets, that car should have some pretty stout 60's hidden in there.

I can't wait to see how much ET you're able to pull out of it.

Dropped the tire pressure to 12 psi and raised the 2step to 5k rpm

7956981430_3b02aa9874.jpg

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Dropped the tire pressure to 12 psi and raised the 2step to 5k rpm

7956981430_3b02aa9874.jpg

NICE! That's good progress Jakob!! Time to update your signature. :clap: It dropped two tenths off of the 60' and over three tenths off of the quarter mile! How did the car leave the line? I'm guessing it didn't spin?

I noticed it was down 3mph of trap speed from the last time you ran it, but at the same 1/8 mile trap. It looks like you lost some speed in the back half. Was the air temperature hotter when you ran 11.64, or something else different about that particular pass?

Last edited:

MrJAFO

Reaction score
NICE! That's good progress Jakob!! Time to update your signature. :clap: It dropped two tenths off of the 60' and over three tenths off of the quarter mile! How did the car leave the line? I'm guessing it didn't spin?

I noticed it was down 3mph of trap speed from the last time you ran it, but at the same 1/8 mile trap. It looks like you lost some speed in the back half. Was the air temperature hotter when you ran 11.64, or something else different about that particular pass?

Thanks Sharad. I wasnt able to slip the clutch like we talked about, i did try it but it always felt like i just dropped it, i did spin a little in the beginning but when it hooked every thing vibrated in the interior and right then i knew this run was going to be good!

It was actually colder on the 11.64 run 46 f compared to 62 f on the 11.98 run but there was a little head wind on the 11.64 run but completely calm on the 11.98, i rewed the motor less on the 11.64 run shifted @ 6k while on the 11.98 run i shifted @ 6.2k

I have yet to try taking out the spare tire and maybe removing the front sway bar

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Great job! I was able to get a 1.82 60ft time with drag radials in my n/a car, I knew you could get a 1.5-1.6 time with slicks. Few questions though...stock clutch? What turbo kit is it? Fuel octane? Boost controller/just a spring?

MrJAFO

Reaction score
Great job! I was able to get a 1.82 60ft time with drag radials in my n/a car, I knew you could get a 1.5-1.6 time with slicks. Few questions though...stock clutch? What turbo kit is it? Fuel octane? Boost controller/just a spring?

Thanks!

Clutch Mcleod RXT, Hellion turbo kit with turbonetics 61mm journal bearing, 93 octane pump gas, Turbosmart eboost 2

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Im installing a 76mm bb turbonetics, RST, Hallman mbc, and going to run 93 also, just wanted to see what your setup was, engine shots?

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Sharad. I wasnt able to slip the clutch like we talked about, i did try it but it always felt like i just dropped it, i did spin a little in the beginning but when it hooked every thing vibrated in the interior and right then i knew this run was going to be good!

It was actually colder on the 11.64 run 46 f compared to 62 f on the 11.98 run but there was a little head wind on the 11.64 run but completely calm on the 11.98, i rewed the motor less on the 11.64 run shifted @ 6k while on the 11.98 run i shifted @ 6.2k

I have yet to try taking out the spare tire and maybe removing the front sway bar

The head wind would explain the reduction in trap speed.

Here is a link to the 11.64 run. again sry about not embeing it since it is hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bb-kristinsson/7974140566/

After watching that video, I had two thoughts.

First, I like how the suspension moves, but I noticed that the slicks barely flex at all. You said you dropped the tire pressure to 12 pounds, but usually when bias ply slicks are run at 12 pounds, they look almost flat when the car is rolling up the to the starting line, and when the car launches, the sidewalls wind up and wrinkle so much that the rim gets much closer to the surface of the track. Like this:

mtsmall3.jpg

I might be looking at your video wrong, but it doesn't look like your car is making the most of the soft sidewalls of those tires, and that's surprising since S197s are fairly heavy.

Anyway, my other thought was that as excited as I am about your 1.65 60-foot time, I think you'll drop into the 1.5Xs if you finesse the clutch a little more. I know it's hard to practice, but that's my humble suggestion. I think it'll pay off if you work that clutch a little more.

MrJAFO

Reaction score
Been awhile since i went to the track 3 years to be exact :hahano:

Went 4 passes and 3 of them where all in the 1.5x 60 foot

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back