Fixing to drop fuel tank

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Gonna get started on the fuel system. Installing 3 320lph E-85 On3performance pumps. Return style setup, -8 supply & -6 return, each pump with its own relay and shut off switch. I’m hoping to only have to run 2 pumps and cycle them. On3 fuel hat.

Looking for vids on 05-09 fuel tank removal. Pulled my SN95’s tank several times…never done an S197

94049929-CD83-4A4E-860C-D98210E913D9.jpeg

26DD4ED1-FB75-4A25-9AAF-DA3B72277961.jpeg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, one doesn't need to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
AFAIK, one doesn't need to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump
lol….I know, I’m doing it to learn how to do it and easier access for fuel line routing.

I’m seeing what looks like 2 fuel hats under driver and pass side rear seat. Now I’m freaking out lol…are the pumps in different areas. Looks like the tank is half on driver side half on pass side from underneath. There a pump on pass side that pumps to drivers side?? No big deal…this is why I like working on it…figuring it out

AHaze

Reaction score
Pump is on the driver's side. That hat on the passenger side is a pickup for the siphon that transfers fuel over to the driver's side.

Joe combs

Reaction score
The tank it held in by 2 inverted torx bolts (look like the ones used on seatbelts) ....you will have to drop the driveshaft first. then the fuel tank bolts. The passenger side in tank unit is a fuel sender with a pickup on it. The drivers side has the actual fuel pump, and a sender also. when the system see's a difference in fuel levels it transfers fuel to the drivers side sump. You could just lower the tank a short bit to be able to run your lines by removing just the drivers side strap bolt and loosening the passenger side bolt.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Man that suckers in there. I’ve removed/loosened all hoses I see, removed the torx bolts with straps, and that sucker won’t budge lol!! I tried prying down on tank using body as leverage and it won’t budge. I might try just getting the pumps in the hole lol

On the pass side tank, underneath, it looks like a fuel line going to something under the spare tire molding…..is that where it siphons back to, then over to the drivers side or does it do that in the tank? What I’m wondering is if it’s some emissions crap I can delete?

B52ECA01-A0E9-4CBE-8592-95D62CEE2751.jpeg

Joe combs

Reaction score
The hose to the rear is for evep.... then the filler on drivers side.... the side to side transfer is done inside the tank

Laga

Reaction score
20684D9C-C160-44E8-A071-4401AEA81267.jpeg A9B73F28-2C18-4CAA-A911-D9B64FDE1A41.jpeg Fuel pump is on drivers side. Fuel level sensor and pickup is on passenger side. There is a hose on the inside that connects the two. The fuel is transferred from passenger side to driver’s side constantly by a Venturi on the fuel pump. Here is what you’ll find when you open it up. Top is passenger side, bottom is drivers. Transfer hose can be seen in both.
I installed a -8AN fuel line (no return) for my E85 conversion. No need to drop tank.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back