Flaming River rack and pinion install

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Over the past several months I have been working on and looking into ways to make my car a bit more efficient. Part of this plan was to install a manual rack and pinion into the car. Since Ford no longer offers the CJ manual rack and pinion, the only other option is the Flaming River S197 piece including the steering knuckle.
http://www.uprproducts.com/flaming-river-2010-ford-mustang-manual-rack-pinion-fr1515.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/flaming-river-billet-joint-universal-fr1709d.html

Before embarking on the install I wanted to measure the weight difference over the stock EPAS unit. The weight saving's is ~23lbs. (EPAS=~37lbs., FR R&P=~14lbs.)

I am using the UPR k-member which has provisions for the EPAS however there are no issues with mounting the S197 manual rack. A couple of notes about the install:

1. The rack to k-member mounts will need to be adjusted to get the proper angle for steering shaft to rack alignment. This is accomplished my removing the allen screws for the mounts and rotating them. I left the mounts loose until I was satisfied with the location on the k-member and were tightened after the bolts that mount the rack to the k-member are snug.

2. Install the steering knuckle onto the rack before installing into the car. Before getting the rack secured, insert the steering shaft into the knuckle and then secure the rack to the k-member. Remember to use loctite on the allen screws and locking nuts.

3. The clearance for the steering knuckle and the k-member is tight. Be sure to rotate the steering wheel several turns to make sure there are no clearance issues. With my install there is ~1/16" of clearance between the knuckle and k-member.

4. I reused the factory tie rod ends.

5. EPAS wiring. For this I used some cable ties and secured to the main wiring harness that attaches near the oil pan.

Many thanks to UPR and Sharad for their support. :beerdrink:

Pics of the install:

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Right on, I came out to around 21 pounds savings with my ghetto bathroom scale measuring method. Definitely worth it. Fit on the BMR K fine as well, but like you said very close on the clearance, but it has all it needs.

I got the rack and knuckle from JPC

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
How does it feel turning compared to stock?
I know I had to wrestle my shit at the track even with skinnies when I experimented with a PS bypass belt.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
I'm with fdjizm... I've gotten used to driving it with the p/s delete belt, curious if it's easier to maneuver with the flaming river piece.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't driven it much however just moving the car around outside the shop it is a noticeable difference. I am sure the spool isn't helping any at all either. :D

Once you get the car moving it is smooth and turning effort is liveable. I have driven a 2011 car with the FRPP CJ manual rack and it is comparable to that.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Excellent thread. Thanks for the info. I think you'll like it when you're out driving it around. I'm pretty sure you're bigger than me, and street cars with manual racks don't bother me at all.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
From my experiences a car with a manual rack is way easier than a power rack without PS. The valving in the racks have to be different to make up for the effort since the PS racks are made to have fluid assisting them.

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much did the manual rack set you back? I bought mine in a huge part purchase from a guy and now I am trying to figure out how much it is worth if I were to sell it, same rack as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
How much did the manual rack set you back? I bought mine in a huge part purchase from a guy and now I am trying to figure out how much it is worth if I were to sell it, same rack as yours

Best option it to price a new one on-line then take a % off of that for being used. ;)

GTGHOST

Reformed Fuktard
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found out they now finally have some people selling them. Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back