Flaming River rack and pinion or?

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
A good portion of my street/strip S197 is complete… waiting on Viking struts paid for and on order. The next step is to purchase a flaming river rack and pinion system
(Nearly $1000) which seems to be the only manual R&P. I’ve read on this site people “looping” power racks but with no more info I’m ordering the flaming river Tuesday. Anyone have any other option? Or experience with looping?

IMG_9341.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

AHaze

Reaction score
Are you doing this just to get rid of the parasitic power loss or is losing a few lbs. also a concern? If just the former, you can convert to the '11+ EPAS rack or run the Volvo electric pump on your stock rack.

AHaze

Reaction score
I don't have a write up for you but a bunch of Volvos from '04-'13 used an electrically powered hydraulic power steering pump. 3 wires and a couple custom hoses and it can replace the belt driven pump in just about any vehicle. It's likely heavier than the stock pump but you could mount it in the trunk to get that weight off the nose.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I don't have a write up for you but a bunch of Volvos from '04-'13 used an electrically powered hydraulic power steering pump. 3 wires and a couple custom hoses and it can replace the belt driven pump in just about any vehicle. It's likely heavier than the stock pump but you could mount it in the trunk to get that weight off the nose.

That sounds interesting. For a stock belt-driven PS pump delete, do you have a part number for a shorter drive belt? How easy is it to find a wiring pigtail and custom hoses for that Volvo pump?
I don't think you'd gain more than 2-3hp (driving in a straight line) by deleting the belt-driven pump but it would declutter that front corner of the engine bay somewhat.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I’m putting one of those Volvo pumps in my sn95 right now.

The connectors and wiring are very easy to get right off eBay. If you just connect power and ignition, the pump defaults to something like 70% duty cycle. But, you can get a controller (also on eBay) that has a potentiometer that allows you to adjust pump speed.

These pumps were also used in certain Ford vehicles. The reservoir on the Volvo pump actually says fomoco.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Make sense since Ford used to have a vested interest in Volvo…

Send pics of this conversion.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I started with the pump that has the fill built in, but didn’t like where I would have to put it. So I moved to the setup with the remote reservoir. They are the exact same pump just different tanks and fill points. 1000001002.jpegIMG_1069.jpeg

They require an o-ring fitting to convert to AN lines, and I got earls brand power steering high pressure hose.
IMG_1112.jpegIMG_1113.jpeg

My brackets are not pretty, but they do the job. I have to finish hanging the pump and the reservoir. But this is really all just an about as simple as it gets for power steering.
IMG_1098.jpegIMG_1099.jpeg

My buddy on here @white95 is running it on his coyote swapped sn95 as well. He introduced me to the whole thing. He does autocross with his.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Very cool mod. Never heard of this on a mustang before.

My Audi has elec steering at it is awesome and gives perfect feed back & input is direct.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I’m putting one of those Volvo pumps in my sn95 right now.

The connectors and wiring are very easy to get right off eBay. If you just connect power and ignition, the pump defaults to something like 70% duty cycle. But, you can get a controller (also on eBay) that has a potentiometer that allows you to adjust pump speed.

These pumps were also used in certain Ford vehicles. The reservoir on the Volvo pump actually says fomoco.
damn, i'm going to look into this just so i can run a shorter belt than the 124 inch whipple belt. shit is expensive and hard to find the rpm belts now. This will potential cut a lot of length off the belt. I'm sure with all the idler pulley size options and the whipple adjustable idler i can find a belt that will work. does the stock hydraulic line screw into this pump or do you need new lines?

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
damn, i'm going to look into this just so i can run a shorter belt than the 124 inch whipple belt. shit is expensive and hard to find the rpm belts now. This will potential cut a lot of length off the belt. I'm sure with all the idler pulley size options and the whipple adjustable idler i can find a belt that will work. does the stock hydraulic line screw into this pump or do you need new lines?
I’m running AN lines on mine, so conversion fittings at the rack, and some good high pressure power steering hose. IMG_1117.jpegIMG_1118.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back