Flat black stripes and wax...

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Any how to's , My wifey is getting ready to drop the car off to get the Super stripes put on...Flat black of course, and she wants to take her to get detailed by one of my buddies but hes never done vinyl flat black .. any one have any good / great tips !? Thanks yal !

V/R
SGT McC.

05xgt

Reaction score
DON"T WAX them! They will take on a gloss if you do. Just wash the flat then dry.

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
Don't wax 'em! Terrible idea. I used Mother's Back-To-Black on my side stripes before I removed them, and it made for some nice, clean stripes, so I'd recommend that!

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
be sure not to wash the car for about 48 hours after the stripe install! give them time to set and stick to The car. after a day poke holes in any air bubbles in the stripes and let the heat bring them out

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
thanks mikey !!! So how would one go about waxing the car then..?? Just avoid THAT whole area ..??

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks mikey !!! So how would one go about waxing the car then..?? Just avoid THAT whole area ..??

Yes, just be careful around the stripes. Or use a synthetic wax, and not the globby white crap..

05xgt

Reaction score
Not trying to whore up the thread but, I tried the Mothers Back to Black for me it is no bueno. Leaves an oily film which becomes a major PITA. Dust magnet, not to mention is sticky to touch. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Don't know.

bad10GT

Mark it zero!
Reaction score
It really depends on the material, 3M and FDC ( same products) use a matte vinyl that has more of a rough surface and I wax them when I do my car. Avery and Oracal seems to have a weird matte finish that looks terrible when waxed.

The Plexus stuff works nice , that is what we used to recommend when we wrapped vehicles. But now we use Wrap Polish by Crystaltek http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-wrap-polish.htm

Its pricey but it works well and the UV protection is key to keep the graphic from fading.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Yes, just be careful around the stripes. Or use a synthetic wax, and not the globby white crap..

Like Steedman says, use a synthetic sealant. I use the Wet Diamond sealant on mine and have no problems at all.

I mask mine off before polishing the car, though.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
Have had mine for about 3 years now. All you need is a vinyl conditioner with UV protectant. I've used the following and my stripes still look great. The car isn't garaged and sits out in the FL sun.
31s2KjeYveL._SS500_.jpg

303pro8zCAT.jpg

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
Fckn Awesome .*** Surfing the net to buy some **** Lucky H Your car looks great ever think about going with agents 47 and just painting the mirrior cap area .....???

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I just got one 13 oz can shipped for $22 off e bay last week.

stangz4lyf

forum member
Reaction score
i don't know about vinyl, but i had my flat black stripes painted on. And the guy at the body shop must have told me 50 times to make sure i don't get wax on them. I'm so glad i had them painted. I've had them for about a year, and they still look as good as the first day.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
If you use painters tape make sure to get the blue "delicate" kind. It's a little more expensive, but it will keep you from messing them up and leaving sticky residue behind when you remove it. I use it all over my cars when I was so I don't get wax on my trim.

Shockey

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of different products do the job.My stripes on my new car got waxed and buffered by the guy in the detailing shop at the car wash, did not know ya weren't supposed to do that until I had white circles on my flat matte black stripes.So I picked up some Turtle Wax instant detailer spray and Turtle Wax Ice wax from info I read on this thread to give it a try.The detailer took off the white circles and brought the stripes back to factory black.Then I waxed over it with the Turtle Was Ice while I was doing the entire car.Car looks great and the flat black matte vinyl stripes look good as new.

Back