FML! Why Me?!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
OP: Start looking for a used motor or buy a new shortblock from frpp. A sc 5.4 block was about $3300 a year ago, I haven't checked lately. You will also need a head changing kit and might want a few other parts depending on how it looks when you take it apart.

Use this manual and all will turn out ok. http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=168 Or use this one if your motor is newer: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=831

People will help you if you do the work to help yourself. Asking for a handout probably won't get you very far.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Donation fund is bs, but I'm sympathetic to this messed up situation. If there was a limited warranty period such as 30 days, the dealer should take the car back or get it fixed PROPERLY IMO.

This. Come on, every used car dealership in any town will have at least a 30 day warranty on anything. And if the used dealership ( in this case a VW dealership) sez on this particular modded GT-500, that there will be NO 30 day warranty, period, I would have walked myself.

Do we have the story correct, he traded in his 2007 stang PLUS $29K for the GT-500 ?? What did he get on the 2007, I can't see it being very much, perhaps $10k ? Ok, so now he's out $39K, has no money left, and is in no way shape or form, able to fund a rebuild job. It cost $$ to remove the eng, remove the blower, then tear the eng apart, which may well be trashed on the inside. At that point, what's next, install a 4.6 3V..sans blower, or perhaps a coyote swap..sans blower. About the only thing left in the mix that's functional is the KB blower.

Does he have a garage where he can even attempt to do any of this...for the next several months. In the meantime, he has no vehicle since the GT-500 was his 700 hp DD. How the hell do you go to college, and rebuild a GT-500 in your..'spare time'.

IF the dealer offers a full refund, what happens to the funds already collected in his 'donation fund'. It may be a blessing in disguise in the end. 19 year old male + 700rwhp = accident waiting to happen. Will it even stay straight in 1st to 3rd. Cooler wx, night time, tiny bit of moisture, taking your friends for a 'demo' at 2AM on fri night half pissed up, street racing, etc. If I had owned that same car at 19, I doubt I would still be here.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
This is why the re-sale on modded cars is so low and why you get more for a stock car.
"highway miles, never raced" & "babied" is a very popular bullshit line

pro tip: don't ever spend "your last dime" on anything.
Bills n shit...

07 Boss

Reaction score
IF the dealer offers a full refund, what happens to the funds already collected in his 'donation fund'.

Do you really think somebody is going to donate to fix his car that he shouldn't have bought in the first place? I donate a lot of money, probably close to 10% of my income. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of donating any money for this.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Does he have a garage where he can even attempt to do any of this...for the next several months. In the meantime, he has no vehicle since the GT-500 was his 700 hp DD. How the hell do you go to college, and rebuild a GT-500 in your..'spare time'.

The same way you do it when you work full time, raise, and support a family. It's not difficult. It's taking things apart and putting them back together.

I personally can't see how a 19 year old student would have the means to qualify for the loan. It's a painful life lesson. I can't see how this could be a dealer issue because there is no way to band aid a smoked short block. I also don't see how a dealer could be liable for a tune that didn't have enough safety in it, a tank of regular gas, clogged fuel injector, etc.

It's a modified 8 year old car. Do any dealerships sell 8 year old modded cars with a warranty? If he has a warranty then I doubt he would of made this post.

It's a sucky situation. I don't think asking for donations is the right way to deal with it but that's me.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Allow me to show my softer side.

ratsass.jpg

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would negotiate with the dealer to at least cover some of the repairs. Buy a used short block that is ready to install and a head changing kit. If you can't afford that, sell the Whipple and other aftermarket parts that are on it to fund the short block. Perhaps trade the Whipple for a stock short block. At least you'd have a car that runs properly, even though it won't have 700 hp.

This is coming from a guy who bought a 2013 GT500 with 3k miles on it with more problems than any car I've owned. I'll never buy a modified car again.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
If I were you, I would negotiate with the dealer to at least cover some of the repairs. Buy a used short block that is ready to install and a head changing kit. If you can't afford that, sell the Whipple and other aftermarket parts that are on it to fund the short block. Perhaps trade the Whipple for a stock short block. At least you'd have a car that runs properly, even though it won't have 700 hp.

This is coming from a guy who bought a 2013 GT500 with 3k miles on it with more problems than any car I've owned. I'll never buy a modified car again.

This is probably some of the best advise you'll get on this.

I DO want to know though, did the dealer fill up the tank before delivery?
What octane did they put in the tank?
That sales manager that drove the car a while before they sold it to you, what octane gas did HE put in the tank?

Car dealerships usually deal with one local gas station, they have an account there, and they usually only allow 87 octane to be paid for, using that account

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've been thinking of that all day and I just need it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Digital panhandling is shameful. You're worse than a common street begger. At least a street begger has a reason to beg. I'll bet you come from a middle or upper middle class family.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Digital panhandling is shameful. You're worse than a common street begger. At least a street begger has a reason to beg. I'll bet you come from a middle or upper middle class family.

Around here the parents bring their little girl scouts and boy scouts out to set up a table at the entrance to the grocery store and beg people for money every other week. One week the theme was 'Teaching young people how to be fiscally responsible adults' or some such bullshit. I commented to the parent sitting there "So, you're teaching them financial responsibility by begging for handouts?" She gave me the dirtiest look.

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
Really, a fucking go fund me account to fix a car you blew up? If you can't afford to fix a 700rwhp car when it breaks you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. This is exactly what's is wrong with our generation, nobody wants to be responsible for their own actions, they just want hand outs from everybody else. There is no doubt you could sell the speed parts off of it and replace with stock to fund a new short block. You'll just have to turn the wrenches yourself. Either way, good luck.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Around here the parents bring their little girl scouts and boy scouts out to set up a table at the entrance to the grocery store and beg people for money every other week. One week the theme was 'Teaching young people how to be fiscally responsible adults' or some such bullshit. I commented to the parent sitting there "So, you're teaching them financial responsibility by begging for handouts?" She gave me the dirtiest look.

They do that here too. If they just said "We're raising money for our troop. Would you like to support us?" It'd be a lot less annoying.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back