For a good basic cleaning...

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have had my 2006 for about 2 years. Car has just over 70k miles. Paint looks good but i feel i can get more out of it. I have never clay barred. I have done meguires polish and wax. So if i take an afternoon, would you guys recommend clay bar, polish then wax? Any recomendations welcome. I do not have a porter cable so this will all be by hand. Also are any cleaners better for silver? I see alot for black and now white cars. Anything for silver?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I would clay, then wax. There is only so much you can do with your hand and IMO isnt worth the time and effort. I would just clay and wax and then buy a PC or Griots to polish over the winter with.

28ONE

Reaction score
Clay and wax. True polishing is best done by machine, forget trying to polish by hand. Cleaners are cleaners bro! Marketing gimmick imo...

28ONE

Reaction score
Plus silver will not show swirls much at all.

+++1

Lets not talk about swirls, I can't imagine trying to polish black without a machine :rant: drive myself nuts or I'd have some 20 inch biceps by the time I'm done lol

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I just clay & wax 2x/year and it has 'improved' my paint over the 2 years I've had the car (it was pretty swirled when I first bought it). I know how to detail & buff but time, lack of equipment, and space have gotten in the way. Hoping to really polish my car sometime soon.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I did the mothers clay system last night then Poor Boys wax. While at a show a week ago, I heard a guy say when applying wax, use bare hand. The heat from your hand helps with the oils. So for a goof I tried it. I really must say, I think it worked awesome! Annoying on your hands but really seamed to work amazing. I will post up pics nice sun comes out and I roll it out of garage. Has anyone else ever heard of applying that way???

Higgy

forum member
Reaction score
I apply it by hand, literally, just to cut down on time. I found I could wax the car in about half the time using my bare hands instead of a waxing pad. I also find it easier to control around areas that I don't want residue like trim etc, cutting down time on taping.

As for the heat from your hands......I know of a few high end waxes that suggest doing it with the bare had to activate the wax......but not so sure it has any affect on of the shelf product.

I have applied wax this way since my SRT-4 I bought in 04'. I have always used Meguires Gold class. Seems to work best for me and I have tried pretty much anything you can get off the shelf.

I too suggest just a clay, sealant then wax.

Last edited:

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
:tdown::tdown::tdown:Ill give the Meguires gold a try next. Of course on way to show today after detailing the car last night and having it look awesome, something flew up on highway, took a Chunk out bumper and nice ding on hood!!

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
I have never tried the bare hand method of waxing, but I just bought some Vic's Red and it's their suggested method of applying. Will be trying it soon. Kind of looking forward to it. Sucks about the hood though.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it worked well I think just messy. And definitely saved time!! Yeah I am pissed about hood and bumper. Actually making me look at changing bumper and hood! I was going to change hood eventually anyway lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back