Ford Racing Vs. Koni Str.Ts?

FiveLeeter

forum member
Reaction score
Looking to start building my suspension soon, and needing to know which route to go for Shocks/Struts. I set my budge at $450 for shocks/struts, and have Eibach Sportline springs sitting in the garage to go on with them.

With all of the deals going on, i have seen that Strano is putting the Str.Ts on sale starting tomorrow at 20% off, which makes them $350 shipped compared ot the $426 shipped they normally are.

However, Classic Design Concepts is currently liquidating the Ford Racing non-adjustable shocks/struts for $250 a set. over 50% off the normal price.

How do these compare? Car is street driven mostly, but I do plan to make some autocross events later in the year once the suspension is dialed in.

Other suspension mods will include lower control arms, relocation brackets, panhard bar, the usual stuff...

DougW

Reaction score
I have an 07 Shelby GT. On the potholed streets where I live I found the the shocks it came with (FRPP) to be unacceptably stiff for street use, especially the rears. I much prefer the Koni yellows I run now. I assume the Koni STR's would be even better as a street shock.

Last edited:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I would honestly rethink your budget to allow for at least Koni yellows. Skip the LCAs if you have to. With the Koni sale you are only about $150 short on your budget. After tires, shocks are the single most important part of your suspension and usually offer the biggest bang for the buck.

More to your question, the Ford Racing shocks aren't great. I have no experience with the Str.t.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I think you should call Sam and talk to him and ask him that question. I'm willing to bet he will say definitely Koni's, but I won't speak for him.

I have not driven on the FRPP dampers so I can't compare them. I have koni yellows though and I pleased with them. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better damper for the price, especially with Koni's going on sale.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I would also agree with going to something adjustable.

Also consider the $60 for shipping CDC charges for the FRPP stuff. Still a good deal there though.

FiveLeeter

forum member
Reaction score
The Koni StrTs are not adjustable, either.

I just put non-adjustables so no one thought I was comparing to the $800 FR shocks/struts.

I do like the Koni Yellows, just not sure I would really justify buying them. I was thinking the str. T would be a good entry level but had never really heard much about the FR ones so wanted to know more about them.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the strt and they are awesome. I cannot compare them to the FRPP but I can definitely vouch for them and tell you that if I end up modding another S197, they would likely be my very first mod

Reaction score
I have had eibach pro kit springs and shocks. Same as frpp. I now have koni strts and steeda sports. The two sets couldn't be farther apart. If you just looking for some nice shocks without intending on making a real effort at some sort of competiton, the strts are great. I think you may want to rethink your spring choice. Pro kits are stupid rough on city streets enough.

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
Ive tracked with the SRT.Ts and have nothing but good things to say. They are not a competition or an everyday track use strut/shock, but hold their own for a few events here and there. Will greatly reduce brake dive and have pretty good damping. Worked well with the Vogtland spring I had, which Steeda gets their spring made by, so you cant go wrong with Konis/Sports. I can say they do feel like yellows on full soft, so if you can spring for it spend the extra $ for the yellow.

JMO

06FMGT

forum member
Reaction score
Adjustable is what you want for sure, specially for street/track use as it will give you the softness or hardness you want.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I've driven and raced mustangs on Oranges (STRT) and Ford Racing dampers, had Yellows in my own car. If I had to choose within a budget I would suggest atleast the STRTs. The Ford Racing dampers just had no control of the springs and I am speaking of stock springs. You are already planning springs, I would go with Koni's without question. The Oranges are pretty much the Yellows on full soft, IMO. If it is not a dedicated race car go with the Oranges, if you want more grab the Yellows but either way stay away from the Ford Racing dampers regardless of price.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I have the H&R SuperSport springs and have 100k on stock shocks and struts. should I do Str.t or Sports? Car is a street car only

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
From everything I have gathered on this thread as well as what I personally run on the street, get the strt. If you rarely track the vehicle (you said it's a street car) then the yellows would be overkill

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
From everything I have gathered on this thread as well as what I personally run on the street, get the strt. If you rarely track the vehicle (you said it's a street car) then the yellows would be overkill

Yeah I just wasnt sure because some people have said the Str.t are good for slightly lowered cars. I havent seen any on Sportlines or H&R yet

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back