Ford Semi Synthetic Oil (2011 section)

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford also recommends I use BP fuels...lol. That was a joke.

Right!

Just because Ford uses a "good" oil and not a cheap-o oil, doesn't mean its the "best". Sorry, Ford can't afford $100 of Royal Purple in every car they make.

A good reason for changing to a higher quality oil, is the same reason you change to higher quality engine/tranny/rearend/suspension components. Because you are going to push the car beyond what any engineer at Ford would call "normal driving"

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
have you seen the torture test they did on this engine? Way more abusive than 85% of the people will ever do.

GrabberBooGT

forum member
Reaction score
Also note, the owner's manual says to change the oil at the recommendation of the oil life indicator in the message center OR 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

My 5.0's message indicator is working on a 5000 mile interval. Allegedly, the computer comes up with this based on driving habits, but who knows.

Bottom line, Ford never says you can just go 10,000 miles between changes. They may infer it in the advertising or when trying to impress the magazine writers, but the owner's manual says otherwise.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Awenotthisagain.jpg

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
.... if there were a better oil, Ford would probably use it......

I could have enjoyed your kool aid if you hadn't said this. The almighty dollar reigns supreme.

have you seen the torture test they did on this engine? Way more abusive than 85% of the people will ever do.

And we are that other 15% percent....

Last edited:

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
I could have enjoyed your kool aid if you hadn't said this. The almighty dollar reigns supreme.

That's true. Alot of times it's business/ politics.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score

so you drive at 7000 rpm for extreme amouts of time, run ice cold coolant through your motor, then run it back up to 7K again... Seriously doubt it. I know what you are sayin, but there test are far beyond what people do.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

Let me refine my point then... I'm sure there is "better" oil. However, I'll bet, when using the Ford recommended oil, and sticking to the oil changes as suggested, that after 100,000 miles you'll see zero bearing wear just as you'd probably see with the expensive aftermarket oil. So yes, there may be better oil out there, but you don't need it because the Ford oil works perfectly under any scenerio you or any of us will put them through.

It's like the whole Teksid block argument. Yes, the Teksid is better, but they'll both handle more hp than just about anyone will ever push them to. Same with the oil. There may be better, but the Ford oil already does everything we'll need it to do. So upgrading, or swapping it out, is pointless.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
It is obvious that many of you have no experience inside the automobile industry. There are mountains of tails of the industry making a choice to save 10 cents and it costing them millions later on. Ford pays no more for the oil they use than they absolutely have to. And if their blend is good enough it is just barely good enough. The fact is you can buy better oil and Ford wouldn't to save a dime. It is also a fact the most oils will do the job required more than adquately. An oil engineer told me once the single biggest improvement you can make to your oil is to change it more often. I'd never leave an oil in for 10k Ford recommendations be damned. 5k is a nice easy number to remember and I'd use it except I put so few miles on a car in a year 5k would last two and half years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back