forged rods/stock block

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
I could have swore I seen a thread about what I am about to ask but I couldn't find it anywhere...

But has anyone used our stock blocks and just put a set of nice forged rods and maybe a set of new pistons and rings and just re installed to our stock motors with any success? My goal is for around 575-600whp tops but I want it to be safe, but it seems like everyone goes for the 298 and such, i was just wondering how well the setup i sugested would work or is there common crank failures to? Cause I was under the impression our cranks were good to 800hp or so.

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
Please, hold your applause. :clap:

I think that with a set of rods and not revving out of this world 600rwhp should'nt be a prob.:thumb:

Androdz

Banned
Reaction score

I think that with a set of rods and not revving out of this world 600rwhp should'nt be a prob.:thumb:

and pistons because one detonation = RIP lol. You can do pistons + rods and call it a day for under 600rwhp. Hell some of BBR blocks are like that. You could even use ford main studs and such for that power level.

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score

Thats what it looks like, do you know which one of our vendors I would be able to talk to about getting some rods and pistons or maybe point me in the direction of someone I could order some through? This would be a easy process for me and my gramps. Im thinking about the eagle H beams rods dunno which pistons yet or compression? thoughts?

06BBR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using a BBR shortblock, which uses a stock block and crank. I spin mine to 7400 with well over 650rwhp. It should handle 750 without a problem.

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using a BBR shortblock, which uses a stock block and crank. I spin mine to 7400 with well over 650rwhp. It should handle 750 without a problem.

how much did that shortblock run you? I just want the pistons and rods they use in them, because I cant justify spending way more money for another shortblock when i dont need it.

06BBR

forum member
Reaction score
how much did that shortblock run you? I just want the pistons and rods they use in them, because I cant justify spending way more money for another shortblock when i dont need it.

Shortblock i believe was around 3k with my core. You can see whats in the shortblock here...

http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbr-3v-short01.html

I know it says the OEM crank is good for 600hp but Chris has customers running it up to 800hp and high rpms. I don't think anyone has tested the limits of this crank yet.

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
Shortblock i believe was around 3k with my core. You can see whats in the shortblock here...

http://www.blowbyracing.com/bbr-3v-short01.html

I know it says the OEM crank is good for 600hp but Chris has customers running it up to 800hp and high rpms. I don't think anyone has tested the limits of this crank yet.

thats not a bad price, its not quiet what I was looking for though i want my stock bore, I will give them a call once i get off work and see if they can get me just some forged rods and some pistons.

Eric298

Got V8?
Reaction score

Nice! Im wondering what kind of power the stock block could hold assuming all internals are forged?

06BBR

forum member
Reaction score
Nice! Im wondering what kind of power the stock block could hold assuming all internals are forged?

3v guys have one of the best modular blocks designed, stronger than the teksid block in most areas. There are people well over 1000rwhp on the stock block with forged internals. The block is not your weak link anymore.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Still worried about that Stock Crank....
Why? Ever seen one break? I have seen two cast modular cranks break in the nine years I've been tinkering with them. Both were due to excess rpm. Excess....as in over 8000 rpm. I broke one of them at 8200 rpm. Plus, it didn't break....it cracked and wobbled like hell. Great vibration at the top of third gear. :beer:

The cast crank does not have center counterweights like the forged Cobra crank. This is where the harmonics set up and begin to whip the crank out of shape. If you plan on rpm'ing the snot out of the engine (over 8000 every time you put your foot down) then I'd suggest the Cobra crank just for added piece of mind. However, for 99% of the street/strip cars you don't need to worry about the stock crank.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Why? Ever seen one break? I have seen two cast modular cranks break in the nine years I've been tinkering with them. Both were due to excess rpm. Excess....as in over 8000 rpm. I broke one of them at 8200 rpm. Plus, it didn't break....it cracked and wobbled like hell. Great vibration at the top of third gear. :beer:

The cast crank does not have center counterweights like the forged Cobra crank. This is where the harmonics set up and begin to whip the crank out of shape. If you plan on rpm'ing the snot out of the engine (over 8000 every time you put your foot down) then I'd suggest the Cobra crank just for added piece of mind. However, for 99% of the street/strip cars you don't need to worry about the stock crank.

This is such good news considering I just want to runs 10's and not spin the hell out of the car.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what exactly would i need to do to get those stroker h beam rods to work on my stock motor?

according to some reading I have been doing, you will have to grind the block so the rod will clear and yo have to get "stroker" pistons. US-1 turned me on to a book "how to build hi-performance 4.6L and 5.4L mod motors. It has some GREAT info in it and it covers everything form intakes to oiling. I can't say enough about this book. you can get it at B&N for about $30. its worth evey penny

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what exactly would i need to do to get those stroker h beam rods to work on my stock motor?

You'll need those rods, the crank hes selling, and some custom diamond pistons.

The rod length isnt the typical stroker motor length. This is why you need the custom pistons. Or you can buy Arias pistons specific to the kit but you are better off upgrading to diamond

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Damn bro sorry i forgot they were stroker rods , I just called Kunts and con firmed they will not work on a stocker they are 5.950 eagle rods . If you end up wanting a stroker then the crank is there as well but then ypou will have block work that will need to be done.

As far as the stock motor and just changeing the rods I would also do the pistons but for the power level you are going for I think the stock crank would be fine as well. Good luck and sorry about the rod thing.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back