forged rods/stock block

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You'll need those rods, the crank hes selling, and some custom diamond pistons.

The rod length isnt the typical stroker motor length. This is why you need the custom pistons. Or you can buy Arias pistons specific to the kit but you are better off upgrading to diamond
Im glad you posted that as I didnt know that they require a special piston ! It is a eagle rotating kit that came with the Arias pistons.

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
Damn bro sorry i forgot they were stroker rods , I just called Kunts and con firmed they will not work on a stocker they are 5.950 eagle rods . If you end up wanting a stroker then the crank is there as well but then ypou will have block work that will need to be done.

As far as the stock motor and just changeing the rods I would also do the pistons but for the power level you are going for I think the stock crank would be fine as well. Good luck and sorry about the rod thing.

no problem man i was excited until i seen "stroker" rods i was like dammit! haha thanks though if i decide to go that route i know who to talk to.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
So the ideal street guy staying n/a could throw a set of 10:1 pistons, some good H or I-beams, a cobra crank, and make some damn good power, just not overturning the motor, say 7000??

06BBR

forum member
Reaction score
So the ideal street guy staying n/a could throw a set of 10:1 pistons, some good H or I-beams, a cobra crank, and make some damn good power, just not overturning the motor, say 7000??

that ideal street guy will be able to spin that setup past 8k if he wanted.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Sweet deal...I think I just found my budget build....I am assuming turning it that much that it would be balanced by a shop, and precisely put together...I know there are no shortcuts....

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why? Ever seen one break? I have seen two cast modular cranks break in the nine years I've been tinkering with them. Both were due to excess rpm. Excess....as in over 8000 rpm. I broke one of them at 8200 rpm. Plus, it didn't break....it cracked and wobbled like hell. Great vibration at the top of third gear. :beer:

The cast crank does not have center counterweights like the forged Cobra crank. This is where the harmonics set up and begin to whip the crank out of shape. If you plan on rpm'ing the snot out of the engine (over 8000 every time you put your foot down) then I'd suggest the Cobra crank just for added piece of mind. However, for 99% of the street/strip cars you don't need to worry about the stock crank.

Thanks for the Info...I do appreciate it :beer:

06 Saleen wana-be

Reaction score
might be a stupid question but when you say cobra crank are you talking about the stock crank in an 03 04 cobra?

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Yes, the stock 96/01 Cobra cranks are steel cranks...(correct me if I'm wrong, it is very possible I am) and some of the Mach 1's are correct??

Last edited:

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score

I think you could go more like 11:1 with that setup, correct me if im wrong.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I was thinking about that, not really sure what the limit was on pump gas, and streetability...

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Here is a combo I put together for a sortive "budget" build except for the heads and cams...

New Romeo cast block bored .020 over
New Cobra crank- which is 3.543 stroke
New pistons .020 over- which makes 3.572 bore
New H or I-beams stock 5.933 length
Livernois Stage 3 Heads
Comp Cams #127600 with phasers and springs

IMO, it would be one killer 284 cubic inch of motor....Be a nice street setup, and top it with a 100 shot....

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
^ I think a REAL Budget build would be:

Diamond Pistons 10.1 Compression
H Beam rods
Stock Heads with a NSR cam
NX @125 or Blower making a cool 500-550rwhp.

Call it a day. THAT is budget! Those Livernois, although badass, heads are pricey! The stock crank will hold ALOT. Plus if you don't have a Centri blower, power can be made lower in the rpms.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
if just swapping rods and pistons would you need to hone out the block?? and how much compression can you run with nitrous on pump gas?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you do any motor work you have to hone out the cylinders.

Stangtuner

Eaton Poosi
Reaction score
if just swapping rods and pistons would you need to hone out the block?? and how much compression can you run with nitrous on pump gas?

If you did'nt hone out the block, your new rings would not seat very well.

I would'nt go past 10.5 static compression on nitrous with oump gas. Of course this also depends on how much you plan on spraying

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back