Front cover oil leak. Specifics about 1L block.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've been chasing a front cover oil leak since building this motor. It's built from a 2004 Mach 1 block 1L.

I bought the block used and it had been cleaned with a power tool prior to me buying it which has caused leak paths.

I spent the weekend taking everything off the front and sealing the front cover on with ultra grey rtv. Took it out for a 10 minute drive and had a clear path coming down the front cover from one bolt hole. Further investigation clearly shows it was weeping from under the bolt head or from the empty hole above. My next try at this will be a wet rtv bolt install with a cap seal over the bolt head and filling the empty hole with rtv.

That's the background. I'm wondering if this is a known problem with the 1L block and a 3L timing cover? Perhaps there is a small mismatch somewhere that's hard to find if you don't know what to look for?

IMG_1091.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well fucking duh! The empty hole is not being covered completely by the block. Why it took till now to put that together is beyond me. Now all I have to do is tap it and cap it.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Well fucking duh! The empty hole is not being covered completely by the block. Why it took till now to put that together is beyond me. Now all I have to do is tap it and cap it.

Glad we could help. LOL!:nk::thumb2::roflmao:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sometimes it requires taking a fresh look to see the problem. Looks like you've got it well under control. :thumb2:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Sometimes it requires taking a fresh look to see the problem. Looks like you've got it well under control. :thumb2:

I always assumed the block covered that hole. It took the pic (and then some) to see it.

At least my stupidity may help someone using a Mach block in the future.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back