Front tires with Drag Radials

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
I have some M & H Racemasters - 275/50/17's on stock rims right now with P-Zero Nero stock size (235/55/17) for fronts.

I have a spare set of stock rims and some 225/50/17's I could put on the front as well. Granted they are a smaller tire but was wondering if it would make a difference.

The M & H are 27.9" and the other tires are 25.9". The stock fronts are 27.2"

Saving my pennies for the fat and skinny set down the road.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
Smaller tire might mean less rolling resistance or less weight?

I recognize that aftermarket wheels will potentially weigh less than stock as well. Hence the saving the pennies for the big/skinny set like an SVE or Race star set.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Smaller tire might mean less rolling resistance or less weight?

weight yes, rolling resistance would be more dependant on the traction of the tire and the difference between a 225 & 235 would be negligible IMO.

however, since the rim size is the same, I would suspect the weight difference will be very small. Maybe 2-3# depending on brand.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Possible ABS confusion would be more important than a few lbs of weight up front. It's going to see the front tires slowing down more rapidly than the rear tires (because the front tires are dropping rpms faster, which is what the wheel sensors are reading) and might activate by releasing the front brakes.

ABS does have tolerance for this sort of thing, but I don't know how much. 3% is commonly mentioned, but that's only a safe, conservative rule of thumb. A 1" diameter difference is probably OK, don't know if 2" would be. Test carefully before you need to know what happens "for real".

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back