FRPP HotRod cams installed 2007 GT Flowmaster OEM Cat X CAI/Delete Dyno tune Vids

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I got a deal on a set of used FRPP HotRod cams, so i decided to take the plunge. I wanted to handle the install myself but the timing wedge lock tool cost $300 but the install was only $500 so.. I dropped of the 07 GT to get the cams installed and tuned on the Dyno, Dan @ RealSpeed Automotive in Bohemia, NY took care of the Tune and the shop also did the install.

They use a Mustang Dyno as opposed to a Dyno Jet, so the number are lower than what we are used to hearing with the Mods that i have. The car liad down 302 RWHP / 299 TQ and thats just about what i was expecting. From what ive read on the web, it seems like theres about an 11% difference between Mustang Dyno and Dyno Jet numbers, using that formula, i would be at about 340 RWHP on a Dyno Jet. That should put me at about 400 Crank HP, with the 15% added from drive train loss factor. Dan was not able to get a baseline Dyno but he estimated about 12 - 15ish RWHP picked up from the NSR cam swap and the dyno tune. Looking at the dyno sheet, the car makes its peak HP between 6k - 6.4k, peak Torque is in the mid 3's and then starts to tapper off. The OEM cats are holding me back from a few more horses, Long Tubes would be a nice compliment to the cams.

Numbers are great but what does the butt dyno say? Pre cams (CAI/Delete Plates/Tune), the car would wake up around 3k, pulls till about 5ish and starts to tapper off. Post cams, you really feel the kick at around 4k and it pulls all the way past red line, I feel it all at the mid - top end. It feels like the car is winding through the gears a lot slower than before, almost as if my gear ratio went from 3.31 to 3.07. also when i punch the throttle in neutral, the RPM's don't shoot up as fast as they used to, Feels like i have a longer power band now, if that makes any sense.

i sat in a cammed up late model GTO before getting the HotRods to see what it felt like, the car shook but it dint really bother me, then. When i got my Stang back with the HotRod cams, i had the pleasure of sitting in traffic for 20 min and i almost puked!!! i really wasn't expecing the rough idle to make the car shake so much as it does, it feels almost as if the engine is not firing on all cylinders, kinda like limp mode. But man does it sound wicked, Ive already had several people talk to me at stop lights, and its just a few days.

I played with the idle a bit with the SCT3, i tried a bunch of different rpm's to see what sounded best or what was less nauseating. Dan had the idle set to Ford specs, 740 rpm, it sound rough but not as choppy as ive head them on you tube. I found the lowest rpm that the handheld allows, sounded the best, i think it was 560 rpm, at that speed you really start to hear the dancing and exhuast pattern changes are much better heard. I had the idle at 840 rpm, i found that to be the least nauseating, 920 rpm was the point that the idle was too high. idle between the 740 - 840 rpm was neither here nor there, still sounded strong but enough attitude.

The idle sounds fantastic through the Flowmasters but the sound is restricted, the OEM cats are muffling the thump too much. I am not prepared to drop $1500 on a proper set of headers at the moment, so im thinking of getting High Flow Cat X pipe. I dont want to go O/R because the drone is just too loud for the all highway driving that i do in the summer time and the Flows will trumpet.

Cams at Idle

Dyno Pull

Attachments

• MoStang_Dyno_Sheet.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • MoStang_Engine_Bay.jpg
    MoStang_Engine_Bay.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moving your thread to the picture and video section, and will embed your videos for you.

Please see this thread for how to embed video

stevstum

Reaction score
Please for the love of Mustangs put Kooks LT's and matching X pipe on that beast. It would sound so fricking sweet.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
yeah it would, just can't spend that coin right now. I did pull the trigger on a Magnaflow catted X, that should hold me over for a while until i get the funds for the LT's.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it would effect these specific cams, but lowering your idle that much can cause an oiling issue...

Congrats on the cams.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
I have never heard of anyone having oil pressure issues at idle with these cams but it makes sense to watch out for that. I wish there was a way i could monitor oil pressure, the OEM guage is pretty much an on/off guage, so i wont know if my oil pressure is critically low until its too late.

What do you guys recomend to guage if im having oil pressure issues from the low idle?

It just sounds SOOO much better at the lowest setting.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I have a much different cam but have to have a higher idle due to oil pressure, my car idles in the 9-950 range.

Not trying to freak you out just something to watch for. If your really concerned install a gauge, or get an adapter and put one in the engine compartment.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Eagle, Im glad you brought it up, as it never crossed my mind that it could even be an issue. I figure with all the people running this cam that i would have come accross some threads of idle oil pressure issues but i havnt seen any. I was thinking of getting one of those digital multi paramater guages, this may be a good excuse to get one, haha.

What kinda cam are you runnin?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back