Fuel Filler Not Accepting Fuel

richie9mt

Reaction score
2006 4.0 V6 automatic. Runs great. Filling up is very frustrating.

When I try to add fuel to my tank, the station gas pump keeps shutting off. I have to keep squeezing the pump handle repeatedly. Twisting the handle or withdrawing it slightly does not help. The franchise owner says he can't help, the pumps are sealed. This is a new station for me as my old one (a supermarket franchise) was sold and the new owners have hopelessly complicated the fuel purchase process.

I thought I read this here previously, but I can't find the thread. Something about a fuel vent?

Is this a common problem, and does it have a solution? Thanks for your time!

Edit: I did find a thread with pics but the video was in German. And the nozzles used at the new station are high-effort triggers; no way to get them to flow slowly.

Last edited:

Miker

Reaction score
My 2005 has this problem. I found that if I rotate the hose end of the nozzle to the rear of the car to 3 o'clock it will fill the tank without turning off. I have to hold the handle the entire time though. I am somewhat used to it as I have had a few boats that were also finicky about taking fuel.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The carbon evap filter is soaked with fuel from over filling. People cause this issue by topping off the tank after the pump shuts off. Do yourself a favor and once you get this resolved, DO NOT KEEP PUMPING FUEL AFTER THE PUMP SHUTS OFF! I used to have the same problem but being very careful for a few fills and no more problem. Now when the pump shuts off I remove it and hang it up. Stop looking at the pump and trying to round it up to the next dollar. It doesn't matter.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I do that - pumping up to nearest dollar. Crap! Do I need a new evap filter? Or can I squeeze this one dry. After I find it...

The new station requires pre-paying, so I won't be having the rounding-up any more...

Miker

Reaction score
The carbon evap filter is soaked with fuel from over filling. People cause this issue by topping off the tank after the pump shuts off. Do yourself a favor and once you get this resolved, DO NOT KEEP PUMPING FUEL AFTER THE PUMP SHUTS OFF! I used to have the same problem but being very careful for a few fills and no more problem. Now when the pump shuts off I remove it and hang it up. Stop looking at the pump and trying to round it up to the next dollar. It doesn't matter.
Thanks for that.

richie9mt

Reaction score
Holy Crap! I found the canister location, and checking prices at various auto parts franchises, they range from ~$300-~$700!!! If they're in stock...Rock Auto is out...

Whew...Is there a way to clean it, or air it out, or whatever needs to be done to get it back to normal???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back