Fuel gauge freaked out

Max70

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I went out for my Sunday drive with the Stang. I went to start the engine and it seems the battery was low (most probably I was checking the headlights last time and did not put the battery charger on) When I started the engine I checked all the gauges as usual and it was all fine. The fuel gauge was positioned roughly just above the 75% mark, I started driving and after having drove for approx 30 - 45 mins I noticed that the fuel gauge needle went up to full and a little bit more, I switched off the engine and ignition and the needle went down and stopped just below the 25% when normally it goes just below the 0% mark.

This worried me and I was continuously monitoring it. Then during the drive I had to make some stops and on every engine startup, the gauge started going back to its original position, so after approximately 6 engine start ups the needle is now almost where it originally was but still not yet 100%, so when I parked in the garage and switched off the engine the needle went down just a hairline over the 0% mark, when usually on ignition off it goes under the 0% mark.

My question is, did this happen to any of you out there, maybe someone knows what this could have been? maybe it had to do with the flat battery when I tried to start it? if yes why only the fuel gauge? in the mean time I also checked with the OBD II the fuel level and it was reading fine 69% exactly like the last good reading the needle showed.

I am hoping that with a couple more starts the needle will fall back in place otherwise I donno what to do.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It sounds like the fuel gauge stepper motor is beginning to fail, and that's a common problem with all the gauge stepper motors on '05-'09 Mustangs.
I bought a set of six new x27 stepper motors in eBay at the beginning of last year and replaced the old ones in my instrument cluster myself. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's a fairly easy job. You just need to be patient, methodical, and have a suction device handy for removing the old solder when trying to extract the old stepper motors.
Here's a helpful video.

1ohiostang

Reaction score
+1 on the stepper motor. Last year mine did the same thing. I bought my kit off Amazon. It's really not a bad job to do

Laga

Reaction score
The only soldering I ever did was plumbing fittings, and I was able to replace all my steppers easily.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
The only soldering I ever did was plumbing fittings, and I was able to replace all my steppers easily.

That is one of my most favorite things; to watch the joint suck that solder uphill when it hits the right temp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laga

Reaction score
That is one of my most favorite things; to watch the joint suck that solder uphill when it hits the right temp!

I’ve got a funny story about soldering. I was installing a water heater. I had everything prepped and dry fitted ready for the solder. I’ve done hundreds of joints in the past. I started at the most difficult to reach joint first. Going uphill like you described. Being in tight spaces and limited access , hot solder dripped on my hand and I had to stop for a second. When I resumed, no matter what I did, I could not get a proper solder on the remaining joints. Some were ruined, and I had to stop and go buy new ones. After an hour of trying, I found the problem. When the first piece of solder dripped, some of it fell inside the tip of the torch and solidified. This altered the flow of the propane just enough so that the temperature of the flame was not hot enough to heat the copper to the required temperature for the solder to flow. While at the same time, not changing the look or sound of the flame.
Shit like this always happens to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max70

Reaction score
It sounds like the fuel gauge stepper motor is beginning to fail, and that's a common problem with all the gauge stepper motors on '05-'09 Mustangs.
I bought a set of six new x27 stepper motors in eBay at the beginning of last year and replaced the old ones in my instrument cluster myself. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's a fairly easy job. You just need to be patient, methodical, and have a suction device handy for removing the old solder when trying to extract the old stepper motors.
Here's a helpful video.

Thanks for your instructive and precise reply for my problem, since I do not live in the US and so all parts are out of reach for me, can you kindly indicate me or give me a link for the exact motor that can be found on Amazon since this site is surely to ship to my country (in Europe) and get it safely, another source that I can access freely that includes shipping is eBay.

The only source I can get parts from otherwise is RockAuto, but I do not think they have it.

BTW, forgot to mention that my cluster is only 4 gauges, but I guess they should all be the same.

Thanks again.

Max70

Reaction score
I live in Cyprus and I bought mine from ebay. Don't be put off by the fact that they're made in China.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=05-08+mustang+gauge+stepper+motors&_osacat=0

Edit: the gauge stepper motors are exactly the same for all four (or six) gauges.

thanks for your link and additional info, I live in Malta,

In the mean time I tried to make my research and came across these, I guess they are the same

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/50003705...ds=xc5+589+schrittmotor&qid=1630443132&sr=8-3

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back