Gauges Won't Hold Calibration.

OLD 96

Reaction score
This is kind of same subject as my previous thread about speedo not working. But. Different. Hope it is alright to start a new thread. I did a search. Could not find any thing pertaining to my specific problem. I replaced the motor on the speedo as all others were working fine. I reinstalled the cluster but left the cover off. I set the needles to correct position with ignition off. I can turn on ignition and turn it off and back on again and off. Needles return to correct resting position. If I start car up then turn it off needles go way past static setting. Losing calibration. I have gone though the procedure countless times with same results. Speedo is working again though. Help. Thanks.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Looks like even the experts don't have answer for this.:headscratch:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
With the needle(s) on the guage(s) that do not hold claibration REMOVED, plug in cluster and turn key ON.
Wait for the cluster to cycle the motors. Install needle(s) on zero.
If this is what you did, than I have no idea other than defective stepper that you replaced.

OLD 96

Reaction score
Juice. Thank you. I should have reinstalled cluster. Turn on ignition then put needles on. Like a ignorant dumbass I didn't do that. With no guidance until you. I just kept starting and turning off car. Every time needles moved further to the left. Then it snapped to me. Remove needles turn on ignition then place needles on. I got every thing back to where it was before. I feel like such a duffus. Thanks. Juice.:worthy:

JC SSP

Reaction score
I think you owe juice a cold beer or at least some fresh juice. Lol

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The temp and fuel gauges are the worst to get right, lol. If you had to mess with those motors that is.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back