Fuse/Lights Question

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Probably a simple question, but recently I noticed that my license plate light was out, so I ordered a LED replacement on ebay. Went to swap it out and it wouldn't work either (tried both polarities), and that's when I noticed that the side marker lights were out as well. I'm thinking it might be a blown fuse (hopefully) but since I don't have the manual and after a hour or so of googling, not having much luck. Could someone point me in the right direction as to which fuse to check?

Thanks very much

Alec

Also, is it just me or does it seem like these cars burn out lights a lot? I've had to replace a few and it seems like every other S197 I see on the road has a light or few out.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had my car for 6 years and have never blown any of the stock bulbs.

The lights go through the low current board on the SJB (smart junction box) fuses F59, 63, 67.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! Just checked all the fuses and they look fine. I'll have to check the connections in the trunk when it's light out

Maybe it's just hit or miss with burning out bulbs. I don't think I ever had to change one in my Jetta when I had it, but I'm probably up to about 5-6 in the 2 years of owning this car.

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

Probably a simple question, but recently I noticed that my license plate light was out, so I ordered a LED replacement on ebay. Went to swap it out and it wouldn't work either (tried both polarities), and that's when I noticed that the side marker lights were out as well. I'm thinking it might be a blown fuse (hopefully) but since I don't have the manual and after a hour or so of googling, not having much luck. Could someone point me in the right direction as to which fuse to check?

Thanks very much

Alec

Also, is it just me or does it seem like these cars burn out lights a lot? I've had to replace a few and it seems like every other S197 I see on the road has a light or few out.

You cant just throw in an LED replacement into a bulb that wasnt originally an LED. Unless there are built in resistors, which I doubt coming from EBAY. Just go to a parts store and get an OEM bulb and replace all the ones out. I have a diagram up here and it looks like power comes from the fuse box into a Smart Junction Box, then it goes out to all of the lighting on that circuit, which includes parking, rear and license plate lamps. So if the fuse was blown, it looks like those would all be out. Just replace with a normal light and see what happens, they are $5 from autozone. And you see them out a lot because most people dont realize they are out when they do burn out. So they cant replace something that they dont know is out.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
If you need LED lights let me know and check out my web site too. Some of the LEDs on ebay are not as good as some others, so it can be hit or miss with them. Then some leds will glow in the dome lights, that's why I switched to the ones that have resistors already in them, but they cost a lot more also. You should only need resistors for the trunk light and if you have switchback turn signal bulbs.

I don't know about your wiring, but if you need help with the LEDs let me know.

Ed

http://www.sdmustangaccessories.com/HIDs-LEDs_c_12.html

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
If you need LED lights let me know and check out my web site too. Some of the LEDs on ebay are not as good as some others, so it can be hit or miss with them. Then some leds will glow in the dome lights, that's why I switched to the ones that have resistors already in them, but they cost a lot more also. You should only need resistors for the trunk light and if you have switchback turn signal bulbs.

I don't know about your wiring, but if you need help with the LEDs let me know.

Ed

http://www.sdmustangaccessories.com/HIDs-LEDs_c_12.html

Thanks! Question, I've read thread of people swapping their fog lights for LEDS, do you know anything about that? That would be a nice alternative to HIDS

You cant just throw in an LED replacement into a bulb that wasnt originally an LED. Unless there are built in resistors, which I doubt coming from EBAY. Just go to a parts store and get an OEM bulb and replace all the ones out. I have a diagram up here and it looks like power comes from the fuse box into a Smart Junction Box, then it goes out to all of the lighting on that circuit, which includes parking, rear and license plate lamps. So if the fuse was blown, it looks like those would all be out. Just replace with a normal light and see what happens, they are $5 from autozone. And you see them out a lot because most people dont realize they are out when they do burn out. So they cant replace something that they dont know is out.

I'm going to give that a shot today when I get home from work. If that doesn't work I'll take it from there. Probably pull the rear bumper and see if all the connectors/wires are ok. Gonna give the fuses another look over too. Wish me luck!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Seems like those smaller bulbs all go out around the same time. The license plate bulbs are those small little bulbs, and I swear, EVERY one of them on my 2005 truck had gone out within the past year, inside and out. Ok well, it spanned over a 1-2 year period, but they all burned out. Junk.

In the back of our Mustangs, I had to replace the license plate lights and also the third brake light bulb (a "921").

When you do have a bulb out, it's a good idea as mentioned to make sure the circuit is still ok before plugging in a LED replacement. Also, the LEDs are orientation-sensitive, they must be installed a certain way. Do NOT try to use off-the-shelf 5V LEDs, as they'll pop and blow out. You can use 12V LEDs as-is or the 5V with resistors inline.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
At this point if I can get the lights to work I'll be happy. I had bought a LED that was supposed to work for the 05-09 license plate (wedge I think?), so it's not just a generic one. Any specific way I should check that the circuit is ok? Electronics and all of this isn't really my thing

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
At this point if I can get the lights to work I'll be happy. I had bought a LED that was supposed to work for the 05-09 license plate (wedge I think?), so it's not just a generic one. Any specific way I should check that the circuit is ok? Electronics and all of this isn't really my thing

If you have a DMM check for 12v at the light socket when the headlamp switch is turned on.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
my plate light went out and i bought a blue led for it. it would not work. i tried a couple different brand leds and nope. put a regular bulb back in works fine. so i left it at that. ive got blue led domes, no problems. iknow other guys have put leds in the plate sockets that worked.

also, when your playing with that plate light, you have to cycle the switch each time you plug one in. that messed me up wondering why nothing was working.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a DMM check for 12v at the light socket when the headlamp switch is turned on.

Thanks!

my plate light went out and i bought a blue led for it. it would not work. i tried a couple different brand leds and nope. put a regular bulb back in works fine. so i left it at that. ive got blue led domes, no problems. iknow other guys have put leds in the plate sockets that worked.

also, when your playing with that plate light, you have to cycle the switch each time you plug one in. that messed me up wondering why nothing was working.

Hmm did not know that. I tried flipping the LED to get the right polarity but didn't cycle the switch. I'll have to give it another try, didn't get a chance to today.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Thanks! Question, I've read thread of people swapping their fog lights for LEDS, do you know anything about that? That would be a nice alternative to HIDS

I heard someone did something like that thinking it would be brighter and they weren't happy with it. I have never tried it or seen it in person.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I heard someone did something like that thinking it would be brighter and they weren't happy with it. I have never tried it or seen it in person.

I swapped the fog lights for LEDs and it wasn't near as bright as the Silverstar bulbs, so I swapped them back out. Looked good, nice 6000K slightly blueish hue, but only about half as bright. No go for me, since I use my fogs for extra light when the weather is bad.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Well after playing around with the fuses and trying different bulbs, I got an OEM one to work. I guess it's just coincidental that the license plate and side markers all burnt out at/around the same time. Made me nervous that there was a larger problem at hand

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Well after playing around with the fuses and trying different bulbs, I got an OEM one to work. I guess it's just coincidental that the license plate and side markers all burnt out at/around the same time. Made me nervous that there was a larger problem at hand

Good to hear! I'd always try to replace a bulb before I dove into a larger project. People most often overlook the easiest stuff. Good for future reference.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
I was having this same issue. My plan was to swap everything with LED's. I got high powered reverse LED bulbs, a trunk LED and a plate LED. I couldn't get any of them to work, even with resistors and restarting the cycles. It took me a while to figure out why my OEM bulbs wouldn't work after trying the LED and switching back..kinda freaked me out at first thinking I was blowing fuses left and right. I WAS able to get LED's in my front turn signals (switchbacks w/ resistors), rear side marker LED's, and dome LED's which glow because I'm too lazy to put resistors in there. I'm going to be installing illuminated door sills in the next month or so which I will wire into my dome lights so hopefully that will draw enough power to make the dimming go away.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back