Garage Doors

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The wife and I just bought our new home about a month ago. We finally have the garage cleaned out from the move well enough (we used it as a staging area for boxes) that I can park inside finally. Now that I'm using my side of the garage and the door opener doesn't work we need to have the two doors serviced.

Her door is tearing at the opener pull mount and is pretty beat up at the floor like it has been kicked repeatedly to open in when it was maybe frozen to the ground. My door just doesn't open. The closer motor makes noise and the light turns on, but the chain doesn't move. If you grab it and pull it opens right up though. Both doors are uninsulated steel doors. Nothing fancy. No windows.

I called a long running local repair company and they said two replacement panels will cost almost as much as a new door. Replacement panels 250-350 each. New door, $750-850 to supply and install one 8x7 door plus the cost of a new closer ($309 installed).

So we're talking about $2,300 for two new doors with two new operators installed. Does this seem right?

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
I recently had my garage door derail bad enough that I had to call in the experts. As they were recommending all of this shit I didnt want to pay for (steel reinforcement) they recommended that I stop using the garage door opener and open and close my door manually to prolong the life of the door. The door is about twenty years old. He said to be prepared to spend upwards of 2 grand to replace the door when it comes to that point. Im not surprised at what you were quoted based upon what I was told.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Does that include all new rails or will they reuse your existing rails and simply hang new doors on them? This year I finally completed enclosing my carport into a garage and found a local independent garage door guy. He supplied and installed a basic 9x7 door and installed it for $700. Of course this included hanging all new rails since the garage was new construction.

Lowe's wanted $1100 for the same door.

Back