Gas Gauge issue for 11 GTs TSB 10-21-3

phoneman91

Reaction score
I just did the first fill up of my gas tank after I saw my gas gauge go from one quarter left to empty in several seconds. I filled the tank and it took only 9.6 gallons!

I found out that there is a Ford TSB on this problem-TSB10-21-3 that was dated 101910 .

My GT was made on 111810-almost a month after the issuance of this TSB. It seems that either Ford built my car with a known defective fuel module/pump FPM or that the replacement FPM fuel module/pumps are defective.

This TSB says to replace the FPM with part number BR3Z-9H307-B .

Has anyone had this FPM replaced for this problem and has the problem recurred?

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attac...5&d=1287569018

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
This has been covered in these forums already. And it isn't tech. Still though, I've got the same problem. Not everyone does though. From the lack of chatter about this on the various Mustang Forums I visit, I would say it's kinda rare. Which is why Ford isn't changing much about it I would guess.

I just haven't wanted to be without my Mustang to go get it fixed yet. But I will be here soon. Ran out of gas because of that stupid shit. Went from half a tank to empty with 3 miles to go till empty and I was at least 10 miles from the nearest gas station. So if this happens to you, don't go thinking it's just the gauge and it will still pull gas from the other tank. It won't.:roflmao:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
My 2007 GT had fuel gauge issues, my old 2010 GT500 had the same issues (gauge dropping to E and CEL at various times), so far the 2011 has been OK but I fully expect it it screw up soon.

zachcrosen

forum member
Reaction score
I had the problem and had it fixed last week. It only too a few hours to fix and now works just fine.

phoneman91

Reaction score
I had the problem and had it fixed last week. It only too a few hours to fix and now works just fine.

What is the manufacturing date of your Mustang?

Look at the VIN-at the middle bottom of the sticker will be a 13 digit long number. Look at the sixth thur ninth digits-they will be the month and day.I am curious if the month and day is after or before the date of this TSB of 10-19-2010. And did the repair invoice list the part number of the FPM? Is it BR3Z-9H307-B ?

phoneman91

Reaction score
This has been covered in these forums already. And it isn't tech. :roflmao:

My post just isn't about this problem and the TSB-but it is about the fact that new Mustangs were apparently made AFTER the issuance of this TSB and that Ford may have manufactured Mustangs with known suspect defective FPM. And I haven't seen this possibility covered in this forum nor others.

I think that issues with fuel delivery is technology-it doesnt happen without the involvement of technology.

SilverS197

forum member
Reaction score
Happened to me today and my build date was in December so yes still an issue and it sux , nothing like a new car leaving you on the side of the road!

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
Mental note: put roadside assistance card in glove box.

So what is it that is wrong on these things? Isn't the fuel system just a single pump? How then is it possible to leave yourself stranded with a 1/2 tank? Or does the gauge screw up, then the computer shuts off the fuel pump to "save itself"?

zilla8

Reaction score
I have not had any problems with my gauge but I learned from riding bikes with just a low fuel warning light,

to use my trip and monitor miles driven since filling up.My car was built 5/14 and thank goodness I have not had any of the reported problems from clutch,tick,fuel gauge etc.

96blowncobra

forum member
Reaction score
every ford i've ever owned has had a gauge issue...... awesome cars every where else, but you would think they would invest in a little better gauge parts.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Mental note: put roadside assistance card in glove box.

So what is it that is wrong on these things? Isn't the fuel system just a single pump? How then is it possible to leave yourself stranded with a 1/2 tank? Or does the gauge screw up, then the computer shuts off the fuel pump to "save itself"?

Both my 2010 and 2007 would just drop to empty even with a 1/2 to a full tank. It never stopped running though. Every once in a while the 2010 would set a check engine light, forget the code but it was something like fuel sensor out of range or something like that. if you search around fuel gauge issues on 2005 up mustangs are not uncommon.

After doing a ton of research when my 2007 started acting up I found that certain brands of gasoline foul the in-tank sender(s), I thought that was pretty silly until I switched from Shell to techron on the 2007 and never had a problem again. The 2010 turned out to be the wiring harness for the fuel pump/sender under the LH rear seat was pinched by a piece of sharp metal and when people would sit in the rear seat it would short out the sender wire. Ford replaced the fuel pump module and that didnt fix it, had to find the wiring issue on my own.

But it appears the 2011 TSB is a completely different issue.

If you read the TSB it explains how the system works, if you read the first paragraph its possible that if the car doesnt draw the fuel from the RH tank that it can drain the LH tank and run out of fuel when the RH tank still has fuel in it. So if you had a full tank, fuel stops picking from the RH tank, gauge drops to zero, you think you are OK because you just filled it up but in reality you just have 1/2 a tank or less left because you are no longer pulling fuel from the RH tank. When the gauge drops to empty thats telling you there is something up with something so best hit a gas station asap and assume you have just a 1/2 tank when its full if the gauge stays on E.

Corvettes with the saddle tanks (C5/C6) have been having gauge issues for years as well, price you pay for saving space underneath :(

FWIW my 2011 was a may 2010 build and no gauge issues yet.

Last edited:

zachcrosen

forum member
Reaction score
Ford replaced my original FPM and I have had the problem again. The Ford Service Mgr said the replacement is the same part as the original. I have been out of town for a week but Ford is going to replace my FPM when I get back in a few days.

phoneman91

Reaction score
Ford replaced my original FPM and I have had the problem again. The Ford Service Mgr said the replacement is the same part as the original. I have been out of town for a week but Ford is going to replace my FPM when I get back in a few days.

Is the original and the replacement pump the same part number as listed in the TSB as the replacement pump? I have written directly to Ford Customer Service with this same question and they refuse to answer my question. Someone apparently may be trying to cheap out on these defective fuel pump modules and hoping that the customers will not mind the failure-even it if occurs multiple times on the same vehicle.

The TSB doesnt state that the replacement pump isn't the same as the orignal nor that the replacement pump is revised from the original. It may be that Ford is just replacing the same pump and hoping that some of the original pumps may turn out to be good. If not-the customer just has to make multiple trips to the dealer to have the same pump replaced with another pump of the same part number.

Something as important as a fuel pump should only be replaced with a revised pump part number-especially on a brand new expensive car like ours.

It is my understanding that the GT500 has the same tanks but the GT500 has TWO fuel pumps and doesn't try to make due with just one fuel pump and a check ball/two intake Mickey Mouse arrangement that our GTs have. I would like to see Ford convert our GTs to two fuel pump setups.

Last edited:

phoneman91

Reaction score

Let us know if the third fuel pump has the same part number as the replacement pump of the TSB---BR3Z-9H307-B. And if the third pump is the one that finally corrects the issue. I wonder how long it will be before Ford issues a C suffix for this part.

Also ask the Service Manager if the tech is checking the RH fuel intake for obstructions and if the tech actually test the RH/passenger intake before completing the repair.

I really wonder if these FPMs are made in China.Just like the MT82 Getrag tranny.

Last edited:

phoneman91

Reaction score
Happened to me today and my build date was in December so yes still an issue and it sux , nothing like a new car leaving you on the side of the road!

Let us know what happens. Ask what the replacement part number is and if the tech is checking out the passenger side fuel intake for obstructions and if the tech actually test the right hand intake before completing the job.And if the RH intake is tested-how do they test it? And how many miles did the tech drive your Mustang to test it?

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
My post just isn't about this problem and the TSB-but it is about the fact that new Mustangs were apparently made AFTER the issuance of this TSB and that Ford may have manufactured Mustangs with known suspect defective FPM. And I haven't seen this possibility covered in this forum nor others.

I think that issues with fuel delivery is technology-it doesnt happen without the involvement of technology.

There's no telling what the Mods will allow to stay as tech or not tech, but now that you've explained it, I guess it staying in Tech is the right thing.

I've started carrying a 1.5 gallon gas can in my trunk, filled to 1" below the brim so there's little room for vapors to accumulate and thus, no reason for it to vent in this cold weather. Has worked out good so far with zero vapor issues. I used a small bungee cord to attach it to the two hooks near the trunk light so it won't slide around. Keeping that gas can adapter in the car as well. If you're having this problem, make damned sure you've got that adapter!

It sucks having to do that. I think the Fuel Pump may have some type of electronic valve that switches over from one tank to the other. When it doesn't work, the computer thinks you're on empty and drops the gauge accordingly.

For my last 15+ fill ups, it hasn't happened again. Before then, I would get to almost exactly half a tank and it would drop to empty saying "4 miles till empty" on the instrument cluster. And from experience, I KNOW the engine will run out of fuel when this is happening and leave you stranded. I was starting to get worried that if I didn't hurry up and take it in for service, the fuel in the other tank would grow stale. But since it started working again, the local Ford Dealership asked me to bring it back when it was malfunctioning. Go figure. It started working again one day before my appointment to have it looked at by the dealership.:rant:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back