Gas tank won’t fill,

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yes. quit topping off your tank. It overflows into the carbon evap filter and soaks it, preventing it from venting. Just live with it until it clears up and quit trying to round up to the next even number when the pump shuts off.
Sometimes holding the gas nozzle sideways helps it flow better and not trigger the shutoff. But when it gets close to full and shuts off, HANG UP THE NOZZLE!

GriffX

Reaction score
There is probably some of the evap system clogged. In Germany we have lots of problems filling up, the nozzle adds air to the fuel and that leads to vapor locks, but since 07 it is no problem to fill up to 4/4.
(EU cars do not lead the vapors to the evap canister when the tank is filled, instead back to the pump.)

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
once the pump clicks off, take the nozzle out and hang it up. Like skwerl said, you probably soaked the carbon canister and now the evap system is messed up

It's not a diesel, you don't have to wait for the foam to die down to get more volume in.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Some folks report success if you rotate the gas nozzle 180 so the handle is pointing up. It's awkward but works in a pinch.

AngusBalls

Reaction score
Same problem after my 2006 was in the shop for 2-weeks. This forum is great! I tilted the handle up 180 filled the Banshee up and no problems since.

richie9mt

Reaction score
I have/had the same problem on my '06 4.0 V6. The pump lever was so 'heavy' it felt like I was lifting a 10 pound weight. It started max flow before I could regulate it. And then shut itself off in less than a second.

I switched gas stations/mini-marts and found a station with 'soft' handles, I could get the gas flowing and gradually speed it up. Solved the problem for me.

As to cause, as others have stated in related posts, I formerly rounded the fill up to the nearest dollar. That happened when the pump shut off, and I squeezed a few cents more in. That clogged the system. Now, I pre-pay for a specific dollar amount and hang up the hose at the first pump shut-off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back