Getting new gears installed tomorrow

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
Just any things i should do after getting them done?? I know go easy for like 500 miles or so but anything else?

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
Just drive around alot lol but nice and easy, you got to properly break them in even more than 500 if you have too. Hopefully you got them installed with a trustworthy source, you'll know if they whine or not. They might whine at first but it should disappear once broken in but if it continues and sounds like you have a supercharger then I would have a talk with the mechanic.

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard about the whine issues and this shop excels in mustang performance so they have done a lot of gears

DareDevil

forum member
Reaction score
if its a new axle then your fine nevermind, I was gonna recommend the rear end bearing installation kit. It's for rebuilds and gear swaps for 60k+ miles stangs. What gears did you get anyways? and is it a 8.8?

Last edited:

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
It is an 8.8 from a 2013 mustang that had 9k miles when I got it.

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
The silly part is I traded the dude a paintball gun and some gear worth less than $100 for it. Haha it was a good deal for me

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
Do bearings anyway, prevenative maitenence. During break in drive the car like it will be driven every day. Nothing special.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah give it about 500 miles for the break in period, just typical driving to let them heat cycle and break in. No romping on it or really beating on them. Also something you definitely want to pay a good, reputable shop to have done properly.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
300 miles for break in. Lots of city driving with variable speeds. Do not sit and do 55 on the highway. Stay off the throttle or any aggressive driving. Doesn't hurt to squeeze on it from time to time though.

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
Well my drive home from the shop will be a 40 mile drive on the freeway at 75.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
On the first under-100 miles, ideally you'll run them for about 25-30 minutes, stop, let them cool down, then go the rest of the way. You need to run them through a couple of heat cylces to break them in, and a long initial drive is not exactly a good break in.

There should be no whine; although 410's can tend to whine a little.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
i put my gears in, first whack at the 7.5 and installed a t lok. i`m no rear end guy and it took me 4 times as long as a shop would take. i only got to drive around the block here a little bit for a day before i had to drive the highway to work for the week about 25 miles each way. it didnt seem to do any damage as it was 60,000 miles ago.

i went 3.73 and it didnt make the difference i was hoping for, but not bad. sometimes i wish i would have gone 4.10, but i drive the highway alot, and its my dd

up_yours_7

forum member
Reaction score
Well my freeway speed went from 80 at 2k rpms to 80 at 3k rpms with the 3.55 plus take off from a stop is a huge difference. I wish I would have got some 3.73 though but they will be good with my supercharger

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Well my freeway speed went from 80 at 2k rpms to 80 at 3k rpms with the 3.55 plus take off from a stop is a huge difference. I wish I would have got some 3.73 though but they will be good with my supercharger
ya, it does change the rpm on the highway. i put 1" taller tires on the rear right after i did my gears, so that knocked my gear ratio down closer to your 3.55. it does get out of the hole quick, not to mention a nice bite in 2nd and 3rd with my auto, which is always fun. next time around i need to get a 8.8

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had my gears installed back in August. I did 3 heat cycles (around ~30 minute drive each time) to break them in before I started to get on it. Went to the track 2 weeks after and made several passes. Here it is January and 4,000 miles later with no issues.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back