Good Lord...

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I just knew, KNEW it was going to take more than 3 hours (according to LMR and CJPonyParts) but 7 freaking hours to change out the old control arms for new, GT500 arms is what it actually took me to do it. I'm sure glad I watched some random dude change his in his driveway because he opted to remove his tie rods instead of the steering rack like the other "official vids" which worked great. I wasn't able to get the ratchet to even rachet 1 click on my steering rack. There just wasn't any room. I did do the entire job with wrenches though. I noticed a small crack in the main bushing but my biggest concern was the ball joint. After I got the old arms removed not only was I able to just wiggle it around, I was also able to pull it straight up and down about an 1/8"!

old control arm bushing.jpg

old control arm.jpg

GT500 arm.jpg

yote0

Reaction score
I just remove the rack mounting bolts only. Gives enough movement to the rack to get to that front bolt. Two on a 3V and three on a Coyote car. Sounds like you went with removing the tie rods?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I just remove the rack mounting bolts only. Gives enough movement to the rack to get to that front bolt. Two on a 3V and three on a Coyote car. Sounds like you went with removing the tie rods?
I tried everything to get to those 2 rack bolts. No go. I could get a socket on it but then no room to ratchet, not even a 1/4 turn. Just popped the tie rods off the spindle. Easy-peasy.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Funny that I don't remember the rack bolts being tough or giving any problems. I know one side is welded and only one side actually spins but I don't remember having any issues.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Funny that I don't remember the rack bolts being tough or giving any problems. I know one side is welded and only one side actually spins but I don't remember having any issues.
Might be your desert climate.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I did mine a few years ago I was able to push the tie rods down just enough to get those front bolts out, barely. I didn't remove anything. Was still a pain in the ass job though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back