Got Bi-Xenon HIDs and HID Foglights installed

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everthing is working fine when the car is not running. However, when I fire up the engine the main headlights start bouncing from high to low beam!! I am trying to figure this one out. Any ideas??

These conversion kits came from stangmods.com and they were truly plug and pray. The only bitch I had was the foglight hookup which did not come with a male plug, but two male probes. I wrapped them good with heat shrink tubing, and then taped them up.

Both kits are 6000K and from what I can tell, they match what is in my Lincoln MKz. They are blue when you first turn them on, but when they get warm, they are basically pure white.

The beam pattern is really no different than it was with the regular headlights; just brighter. The one thing it does not have are those friggin purple and blue bands that are very annoying on the highway at night.

Before someone posts this:

:worth:

I've lost my damn digital camera so I can't take any friggin pictures right now!

I have good pictures of the Lincoln which uses a lens to focus the HIDs and thus casts those friggin purple/blue bands.

When I find the camera I will take pictures of the beam patterns and post everything up for all to see.

Thx,

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh what a mutherfucker this install was! Everything in the kit was plug and pray, overall very easy except for the unique problem I had that about drove me to Milledgeville GA!!! (ZmanM3 or anyone who hails from GA, will get a kick out of that one!)

Everytime I would start the car the damn hi-beam/low-beam function of the lamps would start flickering up and down; back and forth, click, click, etc. Needless to say I couldn't drive it that way! Matt at Stangmods sent me a new harness but that did not fix it. Stangmods.com has excellent customer service so I was very pleased with their help and all.

After fucking around with it all day yesterday, I finally figured out what the deal was. The kit from Stangmods was not the fault of the issue, nor was the harness. It is that damn "smart junction box" on my car going nutz because the stock halogen bulbs are gone. So what I finally had to do to make it stop this shit was put a 2220µF electrolytic capacitor ($5 at Fry's) to "hold" the low beam signal. Basically I connected the + side of this capacitor to the low beam wire and then the ground side of it to the chassis. No more problem.

Now I am in the process of aiming them as with these new bulbs they were way off, not high mind you, but in the ground.

I got them sort of half-assed aligned last night, and buddy, with them and the fog lights on can I really see the road! It was sort of wet last night when I was out and testing, but the grass on the right side of the road was illuminated very well.

I drove up and down a few roads, met some cars and made sure to see if I was sending light into their cab (i.e. I couldn't see their faces light up), but it did not. I pulled in behind a small car with the low beams and fogs on, and it did not light up the inside of their car either.

Overall I am very happy. The 6000K kit is just right as the light is very white. The only blue I see is when I fire them up, but after a minute they are bright white with no ricey blue look to them.

I'll try to get some pictures posted as soon as I either:

1. Find my friggin digital camera.
2. Buy a replacement digital camera!

Thx,

Mike

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very kewl Mike. I would like to check out the fog lights and see what they look like.

Odd issue with the junction box. I did not have that problem with the visionbulb kit. Glad you got it figured out.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doc,

Gimme a holler when you get into town and I'll show'em to you. I think I have them all aimed pretty good now.

The fogs are bright as hell! With them and the lowbeams on, they really light the road up! The light is very white. I can't see any bluish tint to them when they are fully warmed up. I saw someone the other night with 8000Ks or higher, rice rice rice is all I gotta say!

I am thinking about converting the fogs and run them with high beams only. The hi-beams sort of disappoint me as you can see well way off, but you lose your close up illumination. I might think about putting real foglights in the lower part of the bumper where you see them on a GT500. They may already make a bumper like that that is plug and pray.

However, they are much more improved than stock! Now lets see if they pass inspection! :clap:

Mike

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doc,
Now lets see if they pass inspection! :clap:

I think the lighting is the least of our worries with that. But for what it's worth I basically intended on popping the stock bulbs back in and pulling the fuses for the ballasts when I take mine in. Which reminds me, that is got to happen pretty soon. Damn...

BTW, I am in town right now

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the lighting is the least of our worries with that. But for what it's worth I basically intended on popping the stock bulbs back in and pulling the fuses for the ballasts when I take mine in. Which reminds me, that is got to happen pretty soon. Damn...

BTW, I am in town right now

PM sent.

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got this HID shit right now!

I stopped by autozone this evening and bought 14 ga wire, crimp connectors, one SPST relay, some wire conduit, etc. and I came home and ripped into the fog lights and wired them so they now only work on hi-beam! Pretty easy to do. Similar to the kits you wire in for the main lights. I just took the driver's side headlamp plug, found the hi-beam signal, and then used that to trip the relay. Fogs are hard wired into the battery, so when I go to high beam, they come on!

You talk about fucking bright now on hi-beams, WOW!!! I drove down an old two lane where there are woods, pasture, etc. Sort of like being in the boonies except it is in Garland TX, and I could see all sorts of shit on the sides of the road, fence, trees, signs, etc. You could spot a deer or other animal on the side of the road very easy with this setup.

IMHO, this is the way to do a xenon foglight setup, especially with the bi-xenon kits that move the bulb for high beam. What I noticed is that on hi-beam without the foglights, it is pretty dark in front of the car. Add the fogs to that and boom you can see everything!

Also, I still have my foglight option on the car if I want it. Those foglight bulb plugs are just taped off and tied up for now. I ought to see what I could put down in the bumper so they are down very low and cut under fog like they are supposed to!

Anyway, I'm quite happy with this setup now.

Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back