OEM HID wiring ID help

Jwood562

Reaction score
81603B4D-B59D-4E9E-9E34-7C015F44A354.jpeg 521788C9-AC3D-454D-8DB3-6914220B962D.jpeg So finally getting around to a few of my s197 projects.

I scored a clean compete set of 2008 mustang HID lamps. Score of a lifetime. Guy had them in garage, they were his sons who riced out his s197. Sat there clean. He put them on OfferUp just listed as “mustang lights” with the corners and rears. Snapped them up for a steal.

Any who. I know the wiring can be a headache and the oem harness is not available anymore. I am pretty familiar with HIDs and have done a few retrofits in the past.
So I opened the OEM headlight to follow and ID the wiring. There is a three prong female plug on the headlight. Looks like an h13 but it’s not.

The plug has a black, white and blue
The black and blue can be traced to the ballast.

the ballast has its own wire to the bulb

now the black and white go into the headlight. Under the reflector bowl. I am assuming the goes to a high beam actuator? Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

Jwood562

Reaction score
F17965CE-EDCB-451B-BDDE-40862B5BE9FB.jpeg Now my idea for a wiring. I would be using a moritmoto moto control plug and play harness. I would just swap the ballast output to the ford OEM ones and if the high beam actuator is identified like I asked above I will splice those into the high beam outplug on the harness.
Ideas, thoughts? I’m waiting on a response from the retrofit source to see if my plans are correct.

obviously this will eliminate the OEM plug on the headlight since I will probably not be able to find the male plug, but i will make it look OEM and clean

Last edited:

Jwood562

Reaction score
I will soon be the test dummy for anyone wanting to do this upgrade.

I have the lights complete with bulbs and ballasts.

I bought a wiring harness control, some extra adapters and new bulbs.

I expect everything to work with the research i have done and feel confident that the wiring harness can be had for less than $75. so depending on what you can score lights for this can be a rare but achievable upgrade

William06121988

Reaction score
Please share everything when you figure it out I want to do the swap as well I can't stand how dem my headlights are on my 2010 mustang gt

Jwood562

Reaction score
Please share everything when you figure it out I want to do the swap as well I can't stand how dem my headlights are on my 2010 mustang gt

I will post all my findings and eventually do a how to. is there any way you can post the photo of the wiring diagram directly rather than a screen shot? it gets blurry when i zoom in

Jwood562

Reaction score
got a couple new plugs in today, Im hoping its as easy as I think its going to be.

stay tuned for a formal DIY if testing goes well

Jwood562

Reaction score
welp, no help from TRS (the retro fit source), they wanted to sell me the plug and play moudule for the 2012+ mustang HID cars, which i know will not plug in or help. But I have it all planed out. My main harness should be here wed or thur, update coming soon

Jwood562

Reaction score
I got it! It really was as easy I thought it was going to be!

the h13 motocontrol does everything for you. It basically plugs into the factory h13 plug to control high and low beams. Then it leaves you with 9005/9006 plugs for high beam and ballast controls.

So all the work needs to be done on the headlight side. Convert the factory HID d1/d3 ballast to a 9005/9006 connector…. They make a plug for that!

then that makes adding a 9005/9006 plug on the high beams. I was able to easily trace the black and white wires from the HID plug to the high beam actuator. So I tested it. Once tested I cut, soldered and tried to make it as as clean as possible.

very very easy. Just had to buy the harness, $47, power plugs, $20 and generic 9005/9006 female pigtails $5

IMG_5865.jpeg

IMG_5864.jpeg

Jwood562

Reaction score
I have a short video of them working but do not know how to post

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back