Got my E85 tune done today

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Picked up a little. Probably more like 30hp and 30ft-lbs since I also changed from 3.55s to 4.10s in between dyno sessions. Thanks Brian at Hitech Motorsport! E85 = blue trace, 92 octane = red trace, green = stock 05 GT. Side note: GT500 pumps flow A LOOOOT of fuel. First dyno run was pegged at 10.0:1 all the way up and the GT500 pumps held on like a champ (and remember, E85 needs about 40% more fuel flow). I have no bap, stock lines and rails, and 80lb injectors.

E85Dyno1.jpg

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not sure it's worth it at those power levels to run E85

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
what did it cost to change out your fuel lines?
Stock lines. Other than requiring 40% more flow, E85 doesn't require anything else to be changed. Our fuel systems from Ford are already Ethanol compatible.

30 hp gain for not a lot of work... Sounds reasonable. Guys are spending $1200 on long tube headers and gaining less than that.

Once the boost gets turned up though that's when the real gains will be noticed. And the savings will come from not having to buy race fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
30 hp gain for not a lot of work... Sounds reasonable. Guys are spending $1200 on long tube headers and gaining less than that.

Once the boost gets turned up though that's when the real gains will be noticed. And the savings will come from not having to buy race fuel.

yes I'm well aware of the gains/benefits... the shelby in my sig runs E85 and made 850 whp on a street tune and 967 on a race tune.

as to the work, I'm guessing the GT500 pumps and 80# injectors were needed and cost 1000-1200 area......

my point is at his level levels IMO that added use of fuel and loss of range/mpg is not worth a 30hp gain...

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
It is if your only other alternative is race fuel.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
as to the work, I'm guessing the GT500 pumps and 80# injectors were needed and cost 1000-1200 area......

my point is at his level levels IMO that added use of fuel and loss of range/mpg is not worth a 30hp gain...

Well I agree if you were starting out with none of those parts. Most supercharged guys already have the GT500 pump setup along with 39 or 60lb injectors. FRPP 80lb injectors can be had for around $400. After selling whatever injectors they already have then the cost in parts to upgrade is reasonably minimal.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I already had the GT500 pumps, so I added 80lb injectors for $380 and sold my 60s to a buddy for $260. I did spend some on more tuning but it needed some tuning anyway. There are three E85 stations within a couple miles from my house, so its very convenient. Obviously my car didn't pick up that much over 92 octane but my car was built to be safe on pump gas from the get-go (8.5:1 compression forged shortblock, 15lbs peak boost at 6700rpm from an air-air intercooled V2 T-trim). On a stock-compression car that wouldn't allow much timing on pump gas, the gains would have been more.

Just showing what's out there. I really just like the smell of the corn. :idea:

The loss of range doesn't bother me too much. 92 octane is selling for around $2.79/gal and E85 is around $2.15/gal here so the cost is virtually the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I have a station just a few miles from my house as well, and I'm running 10.4:1 compression with a supercharger. So for me, when I turn the boost up, switching to E85 is going to be very beneficial.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kris - I don't need convincing............ I'm a believer in E85

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
So wait, you DIDN'T have to upgrade to a triple pump system or anything like that? I would LOVE to run E85 and it's readily available here. I have the GT500 setup with 80lb injectors and am soon going to add the dual BAP. Does it all come down to the tuner and his tuning abilities?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So wait, you DIDN'T have to upgrade to a triple pump system or anything like that? I would LOVE to run E85 and it's readily available here. I have the GT500 setup with 80lb injectors and am soon going to add the dual BAP. Does it all come down to the tuner and his tuning abilities?

And the power you're planning to make.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Stock lines. Other than requiring 40% more flow, E85 doesn't require anything else to be changed. Our fuel systems from Ford are already Ethanol compatible.

awesome...i was always under the impression that you had to upgrade to SS fuel lines cause the E85 would eventually eat the stock fuel lines. Atleast thats what i was told was the difference in the E85 Chevy's and such, that they had better fuel lines.

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score

Might not get a bunch of power without upping the boost, but it may be nice to be able to not have timing pulled until higher temps (especially here in florida) and still be able to run cats (and keep things quiet). The heat kills my trap during the spring/summer, E85 may be a nice solution to make more power on the strip for a longer time and not have to worry about leaded race fuel.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Might not get a bunch of power without upping the boost, but it may be nice to be able to not have timing pulled until higher temps (especially here in florida) and still be able to run cats (and keep things quiet). The heat kills my trap during the spring/summer, E85 may be a nice solution to make more power on the strip for a longer time and not have to worry about leaded race fuel.

true

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score

Not sure about the tuner's abilities, but the first pull on the dyno was richer than 10.0:1 on the wideband all the way up so it definitely wasn't running out of fuel, at least at my boost/power level. He tried a few times to yank enough fuel out of it actually. Again, I have no BAPs. I did upgrade the extra FPDM wire that came with the GT500 kit with a 6-gauge, but other than that and the injectors, the fuel system is stock.

An additional benefit is that the car runs noticeably cooler with the E85. With the 4.10s and stock 3650 trans, it sings pretty good at 75mph, especially turning the blower as fast as I am. It probably runs 6-8 degrees cooler on the freeway now in the hot/humid weather we've been having.

Last edited:

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
What boost level are you at? I'm at 13/14 psi and 510-520 rwhp. My engine is a 9.8 cr. I have a ported GT500 throttle body I'm going to put on which should gain me some hp, but then if I can tune it on e85 as is and sneak close to 600 wheel that'd be awesome

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
What boost level are you at? I'm at 13/14 psi and 510-520 rwhp. My engine is a 9.8 cr. I have a ported GT500 throttle body I'm going to put on which should gain me some hp, but then if I can tune it on e85 as is and sneak close to 600 wheel that'd be awesome

I hit 15lbs at the very top, around 6600-6700rpm. I would be surprised if you got to 600 by adding a TB and E85 but who knows. You would probably be out of fuel lines/rais at the point too. Not sure though.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I just want to be closer to 600. I figure if I'm at 520 now, I'll probably gain 20 wheel with the throttle body (just guessing, KB monoblade on a similar setup made 40 more wheel, so I'm hoping for 20 with a ported GT500 TB), and then probably another 20-30 from the E85...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back