Got the hook and MPH, but not the ETs

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No go, the clutch (a used OEM part) lasted about 20 runs and really gave up the ghost. Got a 12.07 run at 113 with a 1.5 sixty, but the two runs after that I couldn't engage 2nd unless I let off the gas. 2-3 was tough to engage as well.

Ah well. I'm really tempted to try a Spec3+. Other than Matt's experience, I've heard good things. The clutch/flywheel pair is actually cheaper than buying a brand new clutch/flywheel from Ford...

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've had my spec 3+ with the spec billet steel flywheel in since last November and it's holding strong. I don't know how many runs I've got on it at this point, probably 25-30 since I've put my e-force on and maybe 50-60 runs while it was still N/A. Mileage wise it's got about 9000 miles on it.

LegendLives

Reaction score
John you are having a tough time cracking the 11's but the day is ahead when you will. Now just which damn day is it? lol

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Tommy at JPC after a few calls I made the last yr or so told me the Spec 3+ is the only one they will install that is dependable. I have heard some good things about Exedy but having other after market clutch issues I'm just a little gun shy. This spec 2 is fine while under N/A power or N20 with the clutch already enaged to fly wheel, the problem comes when power shifting. And, I still have chatter.

I'm thinking of calling for a group buy for SPEC 3+.

LOL

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have to decide whether to throw on one of my two spare used stock clutch/flywheel pairs to see if I can get the 11s before the end of the year, OR just bag it and buy the Spec 3+, slowly breaking it in on dry weekends over the winter months. A group buy would be nice!

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the stock clutch is toast, I sure was hoping it would atleast last until the end of the year. Let me know when you want to get another put in and I'll take care of it for you. Might be able to get Mcleod to hook you up with a great price on the RST or RXT if your interested.

Call me this week and we will talk about it.

JJ

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JJ, I need to figure out if I want to make another go at it this season with one of the two used Ford clutch/flywheel pairs I have in the basement, or just wait until next spring. I've got the $$ for the Spec3+, but not sure I'd have the kind of green a McLeod seems to garner nowadays. The RST clutch alone is about $900 or so. Not sure about the flywheel.

This is really frustrating. The tune, power and suspension setup is there, and the car remains completely streetable. It's just what happens between launch and traps that's been holding this all back.

I'll call tonight or one of the evenings this week...

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JJ, I need to figure out if I want to make another go at it this season with one of the two used Ford clutch/flywheel pairs I have in the basement, or just wait until next spring. I've got the $$ for the Spec3+, but not sure I'd have the kind of green a McLeod seems to garner nowadays. The RST clutch alone is about $900 or so. Not sure about the flywheel.

This is really frustrating. The tune, power and suspension setup is there, and the car remains completely streetable. It's just what happens between launch and traps that's been holding this all back.

The RST goes for $700-$725 retail. And the oem flywheel will work, or alot of people prefer to use a 99-04 flywheel with the rst for better surface area engagement than the 05+ flywheel.

Billet steel 99-04 fidanza flywheel $130
http://www.lethalperformance.com/99...stang-one-piece-steel-flywheel-6-bolt-p-33924

:)

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score

If you want a Mcleod I will hook you up. I'd rather just stick one more clutch in the car and let you beat the snot out of it instead of putting a few more clutches in the car over the next season. I've beaten mine up pretty bad in the 11 with no problems and it grabs great. :highfive:

Talk to you soon,

JJ

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may as well bag the year--dropping 4 tenths this season is nothing to complain about. I'll call about the clutch order later this week...

John

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
I see a 5R55S or 4R70W swap in your future......
Thats an insult to a guy who likes to drive a car down the track.
Call us hard headed.
I have to decide whether to throw on one of my two spare used stock clutch/flywheel pairs to see if I can get the 11s before the end of the year, OR just bag it and buy the Spec 3+, slowly breaking it in on dry weekends over the winter months. A group buy would be nice!
John, think how much money we have put out on after market clutches, that back at the factory/test lab say they can handle the duty only to fail... probably enuff for an easy full Spec 3+ setup and a good margin for a Mcloud setup.

Maybe its time to just say hell with it and throw the $$ down. Any deals going on?

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JJ is a McLeod dealer, so I'm going with the RST and flywheel. I've read the 99-04 flywheel works with the McLeod but have seen two references to problems with 6500+rpm shifts, so I'll just make coin on their matched steel wheel. You're right, time to throw down the money and be done with it....

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JJ is a McLeod dealer, so I'm going with the RST and flywheel. I've read the 99-04 flywheel works with the McLeod but have seen two references to problems with 6500+rpm shifts, so I'll just make coin on their matched steel wheel. You're right, time to throw down the money and be done with it....

Im using a 05+ fidanza billet aluminum with no issues, probably going to swap to the a billet steel though to help load the turbo.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back