great article on the 5.2

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I think it it really interesting reading about an all new designed engine and the odds and ends that goes into the build. I know it's not "all new", but a copy of something others have done.

When this car gets on the track and starts setting some records, there will be some naysayers baching at Ford again. They never get credit for their developement. Remeber when the S197 hit the course and was just owning the M3s? With it's POS live rear axle? It was hilarious. The beamer owners were hating big time.

My wife wants a mustang really bad. It's cheaper for me to put an automatic in my car than to buy her a new one...

Dante

forum member
Reaction score
I find it interesting as well as little bit questionable that they decided to go with a plastic oil pan rather then a metal one, I know there is the weight saved but one good rock to that and it's the start of a very bad day.

08GTCA

forum member
Reaction score
I find it interesting as well as little bit questionable that they decided to go with a plastic oil pan rather then a metal one, I know there is the weight saved but one good rock to that and it's the start of a very bad day.
An interesting note, Detroit Diesel 15 Liter Truck engines have been using plastic oil pans for years. They run quieter to help meet federal drive by sound levels. The one bad thing is that the insert for the drain plug can strip out so you have to replace the pan.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score

Right, those engineers don't know what they're doing. They should be consulting internet forums for materials selection on the most advanced engine they've ever produced. :waytogo:

An interesting note, Detroit Diesel 15 Liter Truck engines have been using plastic oil pans for years. They run quieter to help meet federal drive by sound levels. The one bad thing is that the insert for the drain plug can strip out so you have to replace the pan.

I would put one of these hokey expandable rubber drain plugs on long before swapping out the entire pan.

65102-007.jpg

claudermilk

Reaction score
Remeber when the S197 hit the course and was just owning the M3s? With it's POS live rear axle? It was hilarious. The beamer owners were hating big time.
...and i immediately thought of this. It will happen again with the 5.2 in all likelihood.
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

Back