Growing wall building costs.

sajesak

Reaction score
Hello all. We recently had a builder around to give us a figure for demolishing our 31m x 2m boundary wall and rebuilding it. It had a slight lean but hadn't moved since we moved in, 3 years ago.

The estimate came back at just shy of £8k, I had budgeted £10k.

So they come in and knock the wall down, and remove a couple of lorry loads of rubble and waste.

They have just come up and said that there is little or no foundation on the wall, it is approx 110 years old, and they want an extra £5250 to dig out and put new foundations in.

I have already been stung by the council levying a £458 hoarding license fee for the security fencing, for which the builder claimed no knowledge of the license requirement.

So here I am with no boundary wall, and a builder wanting 66% more than originally estimated.

At a loss as to what to do,

1. Finding the money. I allowed a 20% contingency but this is a great deal more.

2. What's to stop them from just adding other costs?

sajesak

Reaction score
Hello all. We recently had a builder around to give us a figure for demolishing our 31m x 2m boundary wall and rebuilding it. It had a slight lean but hadn't moved since we moved in, 3 years ago.

The estimate came back at just shy of £8k, I had budgeted £10k.

So they come in and knock the wall down, and remove a couple of lorry loads of rubble and waste.

They have just come up and said that there is little or no foundation on the wall, it is approx 110 years old, and they want an extra £5250 to dig out and put new foundations in.

I have already been stung by the council levying a £458 hoarding license fee for the security fencing Masonry cost estimator, for which the builder claimed no knowledge of the license requirement.

So here I am with no boundary wall, and a builder wanting 66% more than originally estimated.

At a loss as to what to do,

1. Finding the money. I allowed a 20% contingency but this is a great deal more.

2. What's to stop them from just adding other costs?
Thanks in advance for any help

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What was the old wall made from, wood, stone, dry stack or what ? What is the new wall supposed to be built from ? How much weight is the old wall / new wall ? That's a lot of money for a 31m x 1m wall.

What were the old foundations made from.....and how deep ? Is the original foundation 31m long ?

Back