GT500 guys, clutch alternative?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a huge mark up on clutch kits for 2010+ GT500s? I remember paying $700-$800 for my 08 GT500 Mcleod RXT last year, now the cheapest I can find for my 14 GT500 is $1395 for what appears to be the same exact kit. Is there an alternative or do I need to suck it up and pay almost twice as much for the same thing?

:wtf1:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Idk what happened either on the rather large price increase. I paid around $1100 new for my RXT IIRC (2010+ setup) back in May.

MIKE93SVT

Savior of Junk
Reaction score
That's how it goes... charge as much as the market will pay. Some dealers are at 1,200 shipped. I need an RXT soon, but it's a hard cost to accept

Mike

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Pretty sure one comes with a flywheel, one doesn't, and that's most of the price difference

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure one comes with a flywheel, one doesn't, and that's most of the price difference

The 2010+ clutches use the stock flywheel. $1400 retail is just the clutch

Yep. Just looked up my order from last year, paid $1200 for a complete clutch kit with flywheel. Just the clutch kit is really close to $1400 now. Plus a stock slave cylinder is around $250 now. So I'll have $1600 in just a new clutch setup, not including labor which I'd do myself.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Did your slave go out as well? I put a 2010+ one in when I did my swap and it lasted less than 1800 miles

I've been having issues on and off with it, not quite sure what is failing between the clutch and the slave cylinder. It slipped badly at the track in 1st gear, locked me out of 3rd gear and the pedal stuck to the floor. Next pass no issues but a large cloud of smoke and smell of clutch. Lately I've noticed a heavier pedal and the smell of burnt clutch when just driving around. Still holds the power just fine, but I'd rather change it before I'm broken down somewhere.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Why not send your current clutch in to be rebuilt? McLeod said it would be $400 to rebuild the RST I have in the garage.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I've been having issues on and off with it, not quite sure what is failing between the clutch and the slave cylinder. It slipped badly at the track in 1st gear, locked me out of 3rd gear and the pedal stuck to the floor. Next pass no issues but a large cloud of smoke and smell of clutch. Lately I've noticed a heavier pedal and the smell of burnt clutch when just driving around. Still holds the power just fine, but I'd rather change it before I'm broken down somewhere.

I've had the same issue with my '13 GT500 sticking to the floor. It's due to the clutch assist spring and temp low fluid pressure when shifting at a high RPM.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I thought the GT500 clutch pedal didn't have an assist spring

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What's the stock GT500 clutch/pp/flywheel good for power wise? It's a twin disc that looks like it should hold decent power and still be easy on the slave. Grippier cluch disks should be able to take more abuse, 26 spline disks can be purchased separately if someone is willing to experiment. There are options for discs on Summit.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
What's the stock GT500 clutch/pp/flywheel good for power wise? It's a twin disc that looks like it should hold decent power and still be easy on the slave. Grippier cluch disks should be able to take more abuse, 26 spline disks can be purchased separately if someone is willing to experiment. There are options for discs on Summit.

I've never had a problem running this power level on my 08 or on my 2012 GT500. I'm not quite sure what the limit is, and so far i've driven it every day and have yet to have another problem. I'm thinking about just waiting for it to really let go and would even consider a stock one for a replacement.

Mine started slipping immediately at 723rwhp after 1600 miles. I think partial blame was due to a faulty TOB though.

Mine started acting up as soon as the pulley, intake, throttle body and tune went on. It's been ok since that one incident other than the smell of clutch every once in a while. I'm about to switch to E85 and put some headers on so it'll probably go after that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back