GT500 Sway Bar Rear Endlinks?

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I've had the OEM GT500 sway bar on my stang since 09. Seems to be fine but wondering if I should upgrade the endlinks, which are those wimpy stock ones that come with the bar. However, the bar is 24mm and Steeda told me their links won't fit the bar. Anyone know any endlinks that do work?

Either that or I was gunna switch to an H&R bar but would rather just upgrade the links and be done.

Thanks in advance

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Unless the bushings are going bad I can't think of enough good reasons to swap them out where you wouldn't swap the whole business out for something adjustable. They're strong enough to do their job and located so far out of sight that even their appearance doesn't matter.

Norm

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I don't understand why their end links wouldn't fit. There is no re-engineering going on with sway bar end links; they are what they are for every car. As Norm said, unless they are essentially broken there is no need to swap them out unless you are looking to remove or add pre-load on the sway bar.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
The Ford Racing end links would work. If you want more overall rate, look into the Whiteline bar. The ease of adjustability and different rate options make it a good option IMO.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Yea my original plan was go with a new, adjustable bar BC I'd like to try the different settings to see which feels better. I'm used to doing that on my VW. The gt500 bar is not adjustable. I think I need to either keep it and be happy or get a different bar. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
After a little song-and-dance, a Steeda staff member said I should have ordered a specific size bushings when I spent altogether too much money on their rear links. I still can't find anywhere in their Web presentation that allows for such a choice. They did send the size I needed. Eventually.

If you're not changing bar sizes or configuration, I don't see why a change to Steeda's links would be worth it. Unless you just like the idea (of some invisible, good-looking, overkill of a link or two lurking under your car).

EDIT: I take it back. This was definitely not on the Steeda site when I ordered, a year and some months ago, but now seems to make the requirements pretty clear:

"This kit requires you to provide your rear sway bar diameter so the team at Steeda can get you the proper sized bushings for your specific application.
Note: Fits 3/4" rear sway bars - for alternative sizes please contact Steeda so the proper bushings can be included. Will not work with stock GT500 sway bar."

Last edited:

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I was doing some detailing and while looking at the rear, to me the stock gt500 end links look a bit wimpy. All of the suspension is upgraded so I was trying figure out if I was overlooking that. But like you guys said, unless I change the bar I don't think there is a reason. The bar is not adjustable and if I was to change I would want an adjustable.

I also wasn't sure what other people were doing with this bar. I remember a lot of guys running them when these cars came out.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
People without verifiable structural or mechanical engineering credentials or extensive performance/race car building experience should never use phrases like "looks a bit wimpy/flimsy".

Especially advertising copy guys who will say whatever it takes to draw in a few more sales to their client, and whose words end up being parroted all over the 'net like everything they imply is an absolute truth.

Typically, "wimpy/flimsy" suspension components are either stronger than they look, or the loads are not as great as you may imagine them to be, or they aren't being loaded in a direction that they actually are weak in.

Norm
BSCE 1970

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Thanks for that comment and thanks for posting your credentials, which both are not needed and not impressive to me. I think I got enough out this thread.

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
According to your last post, you didn't get anything at all out of this thread.
You might want to consider listening to Norm, he knows what he is talking about.
Changing a suspension component usually has to do with its engineered specs and how that matches related components, and the car as a whole.
The only other reason would be for Bling effect.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks for that comment and thanks for posting your credentials, which both are not needed and not impressive to me. I think I got enough out this thread.
I don't particularly care if you're impressed or not, as long as you understand here that things that may appear to a non-structural person as being flimsy don't have to be. If they looked to be Brooklyn-bridge strong, I'm sure that even you'd say they were too heavy and would want to replace them for that reason. (FWIW, I wasn't going to risk having you ask me what my verifiable credentials might be)

Norm

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Again, it was a condesending response to just a simple, non technical question I asked. My use of the world flimsy was clearly not trying to be technical. The car is a hobby, not my life. But if throwing credentials around online is your thing, that's fine.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think "wimpy" and "flimsy" are OK. It gets the point across. Not a precise as a structural engineer would like, but as Vinny Gambini said, "I think I get the point."

Whether it is under-designed or not is where the question. That's where the engineers and experience come in. I can relate to the more calculating folks as well.

It takes all types. I'll go back to designing crane systems now. I have a bid due for a 777 Widebody maintenance facility due at 2:00 pm.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think it gets the wrong point across - after all, "wimpy" and "flimsy" do imply that the OE piece is too close to the edge of failure.

Jeep guy - how about I stop trying to be polite, call any notion that the endlinks are wimpy or flimsy a case of scaremongering, and leave it at that?

Norm

Last edited:

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
I've had the OEM GT500 sway bar on my stang since 09. Seems to be fine but wondering if I should upgrade the endlinks, which are those wimpy stock ones that come with the bar. However, the bar is 24mm and Steeda told me their links won't fit the bar. Anyone know any endlinks that do work?

Either that or I was gunna switch to an H&R bar but would rather just upgrade the links and be done.

Thanks in advance
Ford Racing makes them with 24mm ID bushings. They aren't cheap though.
M-5490-LINKB

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back