GT500 tb and tuning...

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who is running one... and did you have to get a tune?

2 tuners and 2 answers, one says to tune then just put on tb, and another saying needs a specific tune.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Who is running one... and did you have to get a tune?

2 tuners and 2 answers, one says to tune then just put on tb, and another saying needs a specific tune.
No tunning required. It is also a waste of your money unless you are running big boost on a centri or if you are past 12psi on a screw blower, but N/A it does nothing for you.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
plenty of people are running it. You need an adapter plate to make it work to fit to the stock manifold. IIRC you do need a tune but i could be wrong on that. To be honest though the TB isnt the restriction you will gain next to nothing with it. The stock TB flows great and there are people in the 10s on it. It becomes a restriction with PD blowers and high boost.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a 'supporting mod for the future', but was looking to do my own et R&D this weekend.

I have a tb spacer paperweight to fab to use...

I have noticed a little et and trap improvments at the track, nothing on dyno... was just looking to see...

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chad, not only am I installing the GT500 TB today or tomorrow, but I'm also getting a new custom tune. If time can be had on the dyno facility tomorrow, I should have numbers.

I've heard mixed reports about aftermarket TBs, but can't find anyone that actually put a GT500 unit on an N/A car, and posted the before/after dyno and reports of improvements (if any) at the track. I'm more concerned about the latter, obviously, as the '05 is my test bed on the way to N/A 11s...

John

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chad, not only am I installing the GT500 TB today or tomorrow, but I'm also getting a new custom tune. If time can be had on the dyno facility tomorrow, I should have numbers.

I've heard mixed reports about aftermarket TBs, but can't find anyone that actually put a GT500 unit on an N/A car, and posted the before/after dyno and reports of improvements (if any) at the track. I'm more concerned about the latter, obviously, as the '05 is my test bed on the way to N/A 11s...

John

Mei-toO!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chad, the kit I got from JDM appears to have the wrong intake manifold adapter in it, so I need to contact them and get the correct part sent. I'm SOL on that. Instead, I'm going to install my Steeda delete plates and get that tuned, and won't likely try the TB until after I've raced a few times in March to baseline improvements (if any)...

John

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chad, the kit I got from JDM appears to have the wrong intake manifold adapter in it, so I need to contact them and get the correct part sent. I'm SOL on that. Instead, I'm going to install my Steeda delete plates and get that tuned, and won't likely try the TB until after I've raced a few times in March to baseline improvements (if any)...

John

Im just going to fab my STEEDA tb spacer ;) get some use out of it!!

What is wrong with the spacer??

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste my time. I would just get a mono blade

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Chad, the TB does not need a tune, put it on and do your testing. The SCT tuner can adjust rich lean but when I had mine on the dyno going 2% rich to 2% lean varied 2-3 HP tops. I did not compare the stock to the GT500 on the dyno and I haven't had a chance to do any consistant track testing with it either. The car will run fine with no tune adjustments. Only noticeable driveabilty issue I noticed was rpms hang a little longer between shifts, which has no effect on the track.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chad, the TB does not need a tune, put it on and do your testing. The SCT tuner can adjust rich lean but when I had mine on the dyno going 2% rich to 2% lean varied 2-3 HP tops. I did not compare the stock to the GT500 on the dyno and I haven't had a chance to do any consistant track testing with it either. The car will run fine with no tune adjustments. Only noticeable driveabilty issue I noticed was rpms hang a little longer between shifts, which has no effect on the track.

apprec. I have prp software, gonna datalog and see what, if any, can get out of it...

Ill make 2 or 3 runs with stock, then 2 or 3 w/ GT500.

My tune is for 12.5 a/f, and with the cooler weather, Ill be leaninig the tune for the track a little....

Why do rpm's 'hang'?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back