H-pipe/cat exhaust clamp off?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I got an after cat, clamp on X-pipe. Told a 1 hour job, I do auto mechanics as a hobby and am stuck and an hour if told how to get it off!

Clamps on H-pipe to muffler side 2 minute job, can't get H pipe off cat side. No room to get to 13mm bolt on the clamp, when I do get a ratchet or wrench on not enough room to budge it. Watched a YouTube video to take cats off, I can't get right leverage to break those bolts free. Am getting really frustrated. Going to cut off clamps on cat side off but seems no one IE AutoZone carries them. I would like car running Thursday night but need help be told how is the best way to remove them. Plus there 20-30 dollar clamps.

Last edited:

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
PB Blaster works wonders on tough nuts, could you get at it with an extension and swivel socket?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
PB Blaster works wonders on tough nuts, could you get at it with an extension and swivel socket?

I have them soaking in PB Blaster, don't think it's so much a rust issue, more of no leverage as bolt is almost touching the frame. I don't keep my swivel set in my main tool box so I never thought of it. It might work, it will be close I can see tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
passenger side cat to manifold bolts? They're definitely a pita.

Only way I was able to get those was coming at it from the top, with about 5 feet of extensions. I ended up having to use a nut buster socket to free them and just replaced/anti-seized the hardware.

gulfcoastlifesty

Reaction score
I got an after cat, clamp on X-pipe. Told a 1 hour job, I do auto mechanics as a hobby and am stuck and an hour if told how to get it off!

Clamps on H-pipe to muffler side 2 minute job, can't get H pipe off cat side. No room to get to 13mm bolt on the clamp, when I do get a ratchet or wrench on not enough room to budge it. Watched a YouTube video to take cats off, I can't get right leverage to break those bolts free. Am getting really frustrated. Going to cut off clamps on cat side off but seems no one IE AutoZone carries them. I would like car running Thursday night but need help be told how is the best way to remove them. Plus there 20-30 dollar clamps.
A thought of double wrench, I know it's a safety issue but it works for me at times.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I think I cracked it loose with a wrench, then an inverted torx made quick work of winding it apart.
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/wp-c...es/01_01_2008/113997Snaponjpg_00000064316.jpg

yes it does have that inverted torx at the end, I will stop later to see if I can find them, I have plenty of room to break them free. Thanks!

A thought of double wrench, I know it's a safety issue but it works for me at times.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I did try that, think all the years of heat and salt has them really jammed them on. Guess most people change exhaust first when they buy the car, not 5 years later

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back