H&R, Vogtland, FRPP P spring pics

MN Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
I am considering a mild lowering spring, but still want to have some rake to the car (old school). Does anyone have pics of cars with H&R OEM springs, Vogtland leveling springs, or FRPP M5300P 1" drop springs?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
If you want some rake, you don't want the Vogtland Leveling springs, as they will lower the rear more than the nose.

OE Sports are about a 3/4" drop both ends, so the car should have a similar rake to stock. The FRPP 1" springs---who knows, being Eibach they can be pretty hit and miss.

I really think Steeda Sports look good. A customer posted his car and it's not tail down. Sits pretty level as most of the springs for this car do.
p30320153215.jpg

Reaction score
The FRPP 1" springs---who knows, being Eibach they can be pretty hit and miss.

Just out of curiosity, what's your beef with eibach springs? I AM NOT being defensive..seriously just curious. Sounds like you have found inconsistencies with their products?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
My beef is they are living on a name, not a great product. They tend to drop more than the claims, and more and more the springs are too soft for the amount of drop and make the bumpstops become a much more active part of the wheel rate scenario. Look at a Shelby GT. It pretty much sits on the stops with anybody in the car, and the rear springs are only 200 lbs/in. Essentially you have no travel until the stops are in play. At least other springs in/around the same rate have more travel, or around the same drop have more rate.

Even their ERS springs aren't as good as they used to be. They claim a 5% variance from nominal, where as Hypercoil is 2% on their race springs. Vogtland too. If their racing springs aren't that tightly controlled, I have little hope for the street springs. Don't get me started on Sportlines (poser springs, all about the look). And over the years we've had many issues on f-bodies with the springs sagging in the rear. In fact I got so fed up I actually ended up having my own springs made. I might well do that here as well.... there are better options for the S197 to start with, but I would like something a little firmer,but not as low as many of the springs out there. That's down the road and would be more for more serious cornering folks, I think the Sport springs (I only use the Hypercoil made ones, not the Eibach made ones) are excellent street springs. Ultralites are too if you want a little lower and a little firmer--they have a height similar to a Pro-kit or FR3 springs but with more rate to help you keep from smacking off the bumpstops all the time, or as hard.

Reaction score
too soft for the amount of drop and make the bumpstops become a much more active part of the wheel rate scenario. Look at a Shelby GT. It pretty much sits on the stops with anybody in the car, and the rear springs are only 200 lbs/in. Essentially you have no travel until the stops are in play. At least other springs in/around the same rate have more travel, or around the same drop have more rate.

This is something that I've wondered about but haven't gotten around to asking. I notice that I have maybe less than 2 inches travel between the frame rail and the bump stop. I knew this didn't make much sense, but if it's like that on my car, then it's on the Shelby GT's..so..that means that it is acceptable? Maybe by the manufacturer, but it sure freaked me out when I noticed it. The bump stop is a secondary spring judging by the wear marks on my frame rails. I didn't cut the bump stops because that too, seemed silly. I never felt anything while driving around on the track, so I let them be.

I think the Sport springs (I only use the Hypercoil made ones, not the Eibach made ones) are excellent street springs. Ultralites are too if you want a little lower and a little firmer--they have a height similar to a Pro-kit or FR3 springs but with more rate to help you keep from smacking off the bumpstops all the time, or as hard.

Are you saying there are hypercoil prokit springs and eibach prokit springs or am I reading incorrectly. Or is the company name of hypercoil: hyperco? I've never heard of any of this.

SGDave, weren't you using ultralite springs?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Nope, BMR. Not a good choice for road racing at all.

No info to add, other than Hyperco does indeed make the Hypercoil branded springs.

Reaction score
Nope, BMR. Not a good choice for road racing at all.

No info to add, other than Hyperco does indeed make the Hypercoil branded springs.

That's it. It was either BMR or ultralites. I couldn't remember. Although I haven't searched the ends of the earth, I'm not finding out too much info where hypercoil springs are available. I didn't see any on Sam's site. Got things to do right now, so I'll try later.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
This is something that I've wondered about but haven't gotten around to asking. I notice that I have maybe less than 2 inches travel between the frame rail and the bump stop. I knew this didn't make much sense, but if it's like that on my car, then it's on the Shelby GT's..so..that means that it is acceptable? Maybe by the manufacturer, but it sure freaked me out when I noticed it. The bump stop is a secondary spring judging by the wear marks on my frame rails. I didn't cut the bump stops because that too, seemed silly. I never felt anything while driving around on the track, so I let them be.

Are you saying there are hypercoil prokit springs and eibach prokit springs or am I reading incorrectly. Or is the company name of hypercoil: hyperco? I've never heard of any of this.

SGDave, weren't you using ultralite springs?

Amazing what you "hear" on the internet ain't it? Proof positive you can't believe everything you hear, or don't.

Sports come in two versions... One is made by Eibach, the other by Hypercoil (some call it Hyperco). They have the same working rates, but the Eibach version is heavier because it's progressively wound--and frankly I don't trust Eibach all that much on the QC side, it's for both those reasons but mostly the weight that I prefer one set over the other.

All lowering springs for this car will cause you to come in contact with your bumpstops, *all* of them. The trick is a mix of damping, height and spring rate to make sure when you do it's not a jolt, or harsh happening.

Eibach's in FRPP K spring guise do come on Shelby GT's. I run one, and run it in Stock class, which means as much as I'd like I cannot change the springs. Also explains how I took a much, much tighter GT and beat two of my biggest competitors in their SGT's on a lot that is not perfectly smooth. The SGT's are not happy on the bumps, my car sucked them up (this is prior to me tossing some ESP parts at it).

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
That's it. It was either BMR or ultralites. I couldn't remember. Although I haven't searched the ends of the earth, I'm not finding out too much info where hypercoil springs are available. I didn't see any on Sam's site. Got things to do right now, so I'll try later.

BMR and Ultralites are COMPLETELY different.

Random Asshole (that's a great name btw) if you just call me, I can help you out there.... since I know this information. See, I'm not just a parts guy, I make it my business to find out pertinent details like this. :)

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I am considering a mild lowering spring, but still want to have some rake to the car (old school). Does anyone have pics of cars with H&R OEM springs, Vogtland leveling springs, or FRPP M5300P 1" drop springs?
Mine has H&R Sport Springs drops it 1" frt---7/8" rear,
still lets it have rake and with 18x9f-10r has a nice stance.

Last edited:

MN Mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has H&R Sport Springs drops it 1" frt---7/8" rear,
still lets it have rake and with 18x9f-10r has a nice stance.

That is a nice stance. How is the ride? Have you replaced your dampers yet?

Agent Jones

forum member
Reaction score
Vogtland Springs. IMO cant beat them, best value. they are only 150 bucks shipped at hotparts. Get to keep rake, they look awesome and ride awesome IMO

Last edited:

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
That is a nice stance. How is the ride? Have you replaced your dampers yet?
Roush struts and shocks, rides good, chopy on rough roads
probably like most lowered cars, never had it on twisty track,
none near me.

Bigmike0405

Whine and dine
Reaction score
In the last picture, look at that sexy cummings. Nice car BTW

Back