Handheld tuner wiping a ecm

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone had this happen to them? I was chatting with another local 05 gt owner the other day and he said he plugged in his diablosport predator to return his ecm to stock. He said he followed the directions and it said it loaded the tune but when he went to try and start the car it wouldn't do anything. He tried to use the handheld again and it wouldn't let him do anything. He had it towed to a dealership and they said that the ecm was wiped and charged him $900 to re-flash the ecm. What the hell is that about? Not only that it somehow wiped his ecm but that it costs $900 for the dealership to re-flash it? Yikes.

Also anyone know if when the dealership re-flashes your ecm does it change your strategy #? I told him it might, which of course means he would have to get new tunes calibrated to the correct strat #.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Who knows, it can happen, but it's not very likely. The reflash would also more than likely be a new strategy code.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he interupted the tune while it was downloading.

a significant voltage variation supposedly can screw up a download...perhaps that's what happened. if the battery is a little weak, who knows

the instructions for the predator say to turn off all aftermarket accessories and to avoid opening doors, turning on lights, anything that'll make the voltage dip

i can't imagine though why it would cost 9 franklins for the stealership to reflash though

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did they give him a kiss on the cheek after they dry fucked him up the ass while his family watched? Because you can buy a new PCM and have it programmed to your car's factory specs, installed, and have the PATS reflashed for $650.

joestang08123

forum member
Reaction score
the same thing happened to me just last week. the dealership said the pcm was blank. so basiclly fried. the performance place that's doing my install called up sct and they were able to download software to my car. the pcm was locked up, not fried. i was quoted around 950.00 as well. fuck the dealerships!!

blacknlte

Reaction score
just had mine reflashed today and it was under 200 bucks:clap: guess i fucked the dealership on this one!!

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I was really surprised when he told me how much they charged him. He said, that the guy said it took him 4 hours. What the hell would possibly take 4 hours in the process of re-programming a ecm? lol. Well seeing as how it's happened to other people I guess I can tell him he's not alone. He is going to phone predator tomorrow and have them walk him through the steps to make sure he doesn't screw anything up. :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back