Have a gt. . where do I go from here?

spdy3961

Reaction score
I just got a blue 07 mustang gt. I've been driving it for about 4 weeks now and the fun just never stops. I would like to start modding my 'stang, but I have no idea where to start. I would like to put it into the 450-500 hp range and upgrade the suspension. This is my first car build, up until now I've been a truck guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I'll post pics soon

P.S. my main goal is to beat a corvette in as many ways as possible :clap:

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
it always comes down to money. How much are you willing to spend?

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride...I myself just got a 2006 GT and have started to look into some mods. All I have so far is a K&N panel filter and a JBA axle back exhaust. These cars are a totally new thing for me as well but 100% of people have recommended a cold air intake/tuner combo. Good luck!!!!!!!!

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score

We share the exact same goals. :) getting in that HP range the least expansive way is prolly go Forced Induction (supercharger, turbo, etc). Suspension and Gears would def. be in the picture. Is it Auto or manual?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit, if you've got that kind of cash to dump on the car, start with either forging the motor or getting a bullet proof one. Then either go with suspension or get blown...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would take my time and research before making any decisions. Go with CAI and tuner first. Suspension mods would be my next choice and maybe wheels. By the way, welcome to the best S197 site on the net!

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
See, that's what I did. Dumped 10k in the car and now I'm going F/I. Kicking myself in the ass all day long.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Honestly If your wanting to do it right I would look into getting forged internals and going Forced Induction (IE whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen superchargers, also turbo is definitely in the mix as well). Along with that you just have to be able to get that power to the ground so a nice suspensions setup and some meats out back..you should be well on your way.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I would start by not calling your car a "Stang". From there, get the check book ready, 450-500 RWHP is not cheap.

You need to figure out if you want a pure street, closed course, drag, or some combo of.

Do some mild upgrades (cold air intake, cat-back exhust) and spend the next 3 to 6 months asking questions and doing research on the kind of mods you want.

A blower is the prefered method, turbos are also very good. NOS is an option if you want cheap, fast, drag race HP, but you don't really use it on a CC or the street...

Mustangfreak

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got a blue 07 mustang gt. I've been driving it for about 4 weeks now and the fun just never stops. I would like to start modding my 'stang, but I have no idea where to start. I would like to put it into the 450-500 hp range and upgrade the suspension. This is my first car build, up until now I've been a truck guy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I'll post pics soon

What year corvette? I can beat stock C4's and I only put down 285 at the wheels haha

SONICBOOST

In it to win it
Reaction score
Get a S/C (430-450 RWHP, without forging the internals), lowering springs, shocks/struts, LCA's and some fatter wheels and tires and you can take a stock C6 corvette all day...thats the basics.

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would go with a twin screw blower and forged internals. You can get that in the 10s easy(in race trim) and still be streetable(on the street tune).

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
If you want power and you don't want Nitrous Oxide, boost is about the only way with these motors. If you know you want a good ammount of power (sounds like you do), I would say don't even do any modifications (accept Exhaust) on the motor until you have enough money to plop down for a supercharger (or turbo if emissions arent' a problem for you)

If you start modifying the engine for power (pullies, intake, and so on) most of that will have to be removed when you put on a supercharger. So if you really want a supercharger in the future, it's cheaper to just skip everything else and go straight for the boost.

If you are wanting 450-500, do you mean crank, or wheel? (the 300hp rating of the GTs is crank, not wheel, wheel is more like 260 or so) If you mean crank, you won't don't need to beef up the motor if you have a good tune. Tons of folks are pushing 440-450 to the wheels (525 or so, crank) on otherwise stock motors (myself included) However, anything is possible once you start getting to 450 at the wheels, so keep money in reserve for the future to beef up parts of the motor in case something blows up. If you want much more than 450hp to the wheels, then I think you should look at beefing up the motor first, much past 450 to the wheels and you will probably be running on thin ice till your motor gives way.

Good luck!

Last edited:

spdy3961

Reaction score
So it would be safe to buy the s/c now and upgrade the internals later, if I want more hp with increased boost pulleys?

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
if you know you are going to beef the motor later on, my way of thinking would be to just do it all at once.

Me, I'm happy with around 450 to the wheels, so I'm not planning on beefing the motor. (sure everyone would love more power, but realistically I'm happy with what I have, I don't have WOT traction in 1st or 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear, so more would be pretty much useless on the street) In the event that the motor does give way and I have to beef it anyway, I'd probably put a bit more boost through it just because I could do it safely. I'm not wanting to beef the motor, so I'm not pushing it any farther.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back