Head assembly by the layman?

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Flame suit on :lol2:

Assuming a person of average mechanical ability how difficult is it to assemble heads. Assume the following.

• Stock heads disassembled and sent off for porting/polishing and bronze valve guides pre installed at their return.
  • Tech has sample ferrera valve to match up the seat with.
  • 16 Ferrera f1198p intake valves in hand
  • 8 Ferrera f1188p exhaust valves in hand
  • PAC drop in springs and stock retainers
  • Ford valve seals in hand
  • Original lash, lifters etc kept and replaced in original castings\order
So I receive ported heads and all the afromentioned parts on hand. What level of special knowledge\experience is necessary to assemble the heads under the preceding assumptions?

Looking over the manual and considering I am reusing some of the factory parts it seems like this is more of an assembly procedure. Not having done this before is there anyone that has? Is it straight forward?

What's driving me? Cost.

Heads ported $1000
16 Ferrera intake valves $392
8 Ferrera exhaust valves $284
Springs from PAC $350

Toatal for this approach = ~ $2026

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not yet i havent but im planning on doing it. Ive done plenty of chevy stuff, never have messed with ford before.

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
after a porting job the valve rod end to to the bottom of the spring seat measurement would change some. Do I have to compensate for that in some way? Will I have to compensate for this by adjusting my lash with shims?

I looked over the service manual online and could not find the section on measuring the valve train and shimming the lash adjusters if required.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
You'll miss out on options like getting a 5 angle valve job done, but there isn't any reason you couldn't handle the assembly yourself.

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Sounds like a straight up reassembly of the various components I remove during disassembly. I need to be sure to keep track of which chamber the lifters come out of so I can replace them back into their original cup. Just stating a fact. Are there any other considerations to keep in mind during disassembly/reassembly?

Are there some tolerances I can check after assembly to ensure I have it all buttoned up properlly and with in "specs".

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
If you're going through all that I would replace the lash adjusters. Mine were going bad in my car which was causing some valvetrain noise. I replaced them all when I did my valve seals and springs.

Back