Header install question....

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Before anyone slams me, yes I used the search feature. Just put in some hooker ceramic coated shorties on saturday and was just wondering if the car should have gotten louder. If anything it got a little quieter at low rpm which I thought was strange....Current exhaust set up is the shorties, pypes o/r H, and flowmasters... Also, gonna take the car into a local shop tomorrow just to make sure everything is put in correctly. Thanks in advance for any insight.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
They don't get louder with headers, the tone should change though.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm okay. A friend told me before i put em in that it would be retarded loud, I figured I'd get a tone change but I havent heard any s197's personally that had headers and no cats.

dimitrik8890

CHECK CHECK
Reaction score
Origanlly had stock manifolds and o/r x, it was crazy loud. Swapped in Mac lt's and o/r Prochamber. Got was 10x quieter. But tone and power gains were amazing

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
shorties dont make cars retardedly loud ur friend is retardedly ignorant. why would it get louder? theres no sound dampening in headers. the reason lt's make cars louder is because they usually dont run cats with lt. shorty afternarket headers just help flow. so the as stated above the tone most def shouldchange, but it shouldnt get that much louder or more quite.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
LOL @ silver bullet. I guess I figured less restriction would make it louder, but I will say the power gains are definitely notable and fun as hell to say the least. Can't wait to get the car tuned this weekend. The only other thing I really want to do in terms of exhaust is get the side exhaust kit. But cams and head work are coming first. Thanks for the insight guys.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, so one of the problems ended up being the gaskets didnt seal properly, but I got that taken care of and i guess my real issue is that it's not that it isn't as loud but it sounds way too muffled. Could this be due to the A/F ratio needing to be reprogrammed? Thanks.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
You're running a chambered muffler, an h-pipe, and free flowing headers. You cant realistically expect this combination to be super-loud. Try switching to a straight-through muffler or muffler deletes if you want louder.

For ex: borla/frpp stinger, pype bomb, slp loudmouths, etc.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
The loud thing isn't really the issue anymore. It's just as loud as it was before, and just as deep. It's more about the exhaust note, and that it sounds reeeaallly muffled while driving.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
Well the exhaust note will change with free flowing headers. By muffled do you simply mean that it isnt as loud inside the car?

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
In or out. And it literally sounds muffled. Comparing the way you talk normally, to being before, and if you were to talk with a hand over your mouth to after.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
Putting headers on the car, changes the timing of the exhaust pulse entering the pipes, that will make the engine run smoother, and reduce the popping. So it will sound a little muffled. You can't expect a big change from such a small upgrade. If you want big sound go long tubes and high flow cats.

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the added insight. Car kinda wigged on me when i started it this morning. Idled low and would get real shaky if I revved. Also the little wrench light came on, turned it off and started again and havent had the problem since. Drove the car from Houston to Austin today and didnt have any problems either. Gonna take the car to PSI and get it dyno tuned sometime this week. Also gonna get some Borla stingers. And I'm not super concerned about the sound being BIG, just wanted to make sure that it getting a little quieter was normal.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
When I had my o/r H with the american thunder Flowmasters I thought it was retarded loud and sounded like ass. I spliced in some m80's and it sounds 10000000000000000x better.

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
When I installed my Dynatech LT's and catted x pipe, it got significantly louder and much "bass-ier".

08GTS

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. I'm eventually gonna end up getting LT's. Cams first though.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
^+1

The mid-muffler resonators held with drone, loudness, popping, trumpeting. My flows, o/r h, cams, and mid-mounted slp lm1's sound awesome with no drone and a deep gurgle when under load.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back